Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine/cya

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine/cya

Hey all,
    How do I determine what level of cya to have in my pool? I read the chlorine/cya chart. I have added enough cya to reach 60 ppm as of now. How do I know if I should be at 60,70, or 80? It's been a week since I added any cya, so now would be the time to add some if needed. Also it's a saltwater pool. Thanks
    Ryan
    23k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair sand filter, 1 hp single speed pump, pool pilot digital swg, Hayward sharkvac. Built May 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine/cya

You should perform a CYA test. The CYA test is included with all of the better test kits, and is also available separately.

If you added enough to get to 60 then you should be at 60. However there is always room for miscalculation, so it is important to test the actual level before continuing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I asked this wrong. I am trying to figure out the optimal ppm of cya to have in my pool. The cya/chlorine states it should be 60, 70 or 80. Which number should I shoot for?
    23k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair sand filter, 1 hp single speed pump, pool pilot digital swg, Hayward sharkvac. Built May 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

With a SWG you want to start the season with CYA around 80. It will then fall slowly over the course of the season and hopefully still be 60 or higher by the end of the season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, thank you. I will bump it up to 80