Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto fill/Water Level/Overflow issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto fill/Water Level/Overflow issues

My in-ground pool is configured with an auto fill valve. When we first moved into the house, it was running constantly. I have turned it off until I have a chance to replace the shut-off mechanism.

However, when messing around with the auto fill, I noticed that the overflow is below the ideal water level (or at least how I perceive it) for the skimmer. Meaning, if the water level rests below the overflow, the water level is about 2 inches below the hard water ring around the below, and is just barely above the bottom lip of the skimmer cavity.

I also might mention that there was a wine cork shoved in the overflow drain, though I don't think it was making a good seal based on how quickly the water would drain.

Any ideas? What is the proper water level relative to the skimmer? Is plugging the overflow acceptable? If so, is there a better solution than a wine cork?

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Auto fill/Water Level/Overflow issues

Proper water level is roughly in the middle of the skimmer. My 2 houses have never had the overflow actually connected to anything, they have been sealed from the outside. You could try a rubber plug to get a better seal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Auto fill/Water Level/Overflow issues

Plugging up the overflow is just fine. Most people don't have an overflow system to begin with. On the other hand, extending it up an inch or two is probably fairly simple. Some overflows are even adjustable.

Depending a little on the skimmer design you generally need at least an inch of water above the bottom of the opening for correct operation. Anything from there up to not quite touching the top will work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School