Refill pool with hose frequency?

May 20, 2013
Hey everyone - I am in Dallas, Texas, and new pool owner.

We are noticing that our pool is dropping water (about 2 inches in 5-6 days) - sound like a leak? I tried a bucket test, and after 24 hours, I couldn't tell much difference in bucket versus pool water. But after a few days it was definitely off.

We end up with a sucking sound in our skimmer alerting us loudly that we're getting air in the system and have to refill the pool immediately and flush out the air.

How often should I really expect to fill up my pool, and do we have a leak at this rate? It has rained in the past week also.

Meanwhile, I will try to keep pool up so that we're not getting air in the system........But really would prefer to not have to refill the pool with a hose 6 times a month. How often do those of you without an autofiller have to fill it up?

Thanks in advance.

This is going to vary from pool to pool and region to region. It will also vary depending on the season, hot weather, low humidity and wind mean lots of evaporation2 inches per week could certainly be normal for your area, and we have several north texas members that will hopefully chime in with their experience. Even then it will depend on how sheltered / exposed your pool is, type of construction, if you have a water feature, etc.

Ike

Welcome to the forum. Expect to lose half an inch a day to evaporation---even a bit more if the wind has been blowing like a banshee (which it has lately)!
Find a good hose you feel comfortable with!

I'm a little south of you, but a couple years ago I had a leak...after doing several bucket tests I found the normal amount of evaporation in summer should be about 1/4" per day. I was losing about 3/4" per day. pool company came out and it was leaking where the skimmer mouth meets the waterline tile. they said this is the most common place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.