Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Refill pool with hose frequency?

1. Back To Top    #1

Refill pool with hose frequency?

Hey everyone - I am in Dallas, Texas, and new pool owner.

We are noticing that our pool is dropping water (about 2 inches in 5-6 days) - sound like a leak? I tried a bucket test, and after 24 hours, I couldn't tell much difference in bucket versus pool water. But after a few days it was definitely off.

We end up with a sucking sound in our skimmer alerting us loudly that we're getting air in the system and have to refill the pool immediately and flush out the air.

How often should I really expect to fill up my pool, and do we have a leak at this rate? It has rained in the past week also.

Meanwhile, I will try to keep pool up so that we're not getting air in the system........But really would prefer to not have to refill the pool with a hose 6 times a month. How often do those of you without an autofiller have to fill it up?

Thanks in advance.
    Here's what we have: 18,000 gallon in ground pool with DE filter, plaster/gunite construction
    Other notes: 1.5 Challenger Filter Pump, Polaris Auto-Cleaner pump, Hayward return inlets, Jacuzzi Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Refill pool with hose frequency?

This is going to vary from pool to pool and region to region. It will also vary depending on the season, hot weather, low humidity and wind mean lots of evaporation2 inches per week could certainly be normal for your area, and we have several north texas members that will hopefully chime in with their experience. Even then it will depend on how sheltered / exposed your pool is, type of construction, if you have a water feature, etc.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum. Expect to lose half an inch a day to evaporation---even a bit more if the wind has been blowing like a banshee (which it has lately)!
    Find a good hose you feel comfortable with!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is an autofilter worth looking into like this:

http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/pool-s ... veler.html

Thanks - I guess I never figured that evap. rates would be that high.
    Here's what we have: 18,000 gallon in ground pool with DE filter, plaster/gunite construction
    Other notes: 1.5 Challenger Filter Pump, Polaris Auto-Cleaner pump, Hayward return inlets, Jacuzzi Skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Auto-filler I meant, not filter...

6. Back To Top    #6

The thing I don't like about autofillers is your first sign of a major leak will often be your water bill the next month.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm a little south of you, but a couple years ago I had a leak...after doing several bucket tests I found the normal amount of evaporation in summer should be about 1/4" per day. I was losing about 3/4" per day. pool company came out and it was leaking where the skimmer mouth meets the waterline tile. they said this is the most common place.