FC: 3.5
    CC: .5
    TC: 4.0
    Temp: 81
    pH: 7.4
    Hardness: 390
    TA: 80
    CYA: 50

I took a sample to the local Anthony & Sylvan simply because they have a means to test for borates, and I do not. I've been considering adding borates after I have read the accolades here but I wanted to know where I was starting from... -103lbs of Borax 20 Mule?? and 6 gallons of acid for 50ppm?? -Seems a lot, but I'll attend to that later...

I have the TFP test kit (which gave me the results above). They did an entire battery on their Waterlink system which I found interesting (results blow) -and the results were similar enough to mine -I was not concerned. Except....

Their system spit out a recommendation that because I have a "Nitrate level of 37ppm", I should drain and replace 61% of my water. I have never tracked Nitrates, much less thought of replacing water because of them. Should I be taking this recommendation seriously?

Thoughts appreciated.

Their Waterlink results -if you care to compare -again they were pretty close...:

FC: 3.52
    CC: .29
    TC: 3.81
    Temp: 65F
    pH: 7.5
    Hardness: 403
    TA: 82
    CYA: 66
    Copper: 0
    Iron: 0
    Borate: 0
    Nitrate: 37

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dan
    28K Gal. 802 Sq Ft., Free Form, IG, Gunnite with Midnight Maui Hydrazzo Carlton Pool. Exposed Aggregate Decking. Jandy DE Filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Pump, SWCG. Zodiac 380 pressure-side cleaner. Completed Construction: May 2008.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nitrates -Thoughts please?

Quote Originally Posted by dfiletti
    Should I be taking this recommendation seriously?
    Nope. Nitrates and phosphates do not matter if you maintain the appropriate FC level (for your cya level).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

My thought is that Leslie's found out you had nicely balanced water so they want you to get rid of some it. That way you will need some more chlorine and acid, etc. to re-balance.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by btolley
    My thought is that Leslie's found out you had nicely balanced water so they want you to get rid of some it. That way you will need some more chlorine and acid, etc. to re-balance.
    Classic!!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry