Think I got a Good deal on Aquarite/Blue Haven SWG

May 30, 2008
NC
Hello,

I'm a newbie here but thought I would relate my experience installing a new SWG. I noticed on line that Blue Haven Pools and Spas is advertising a Blue Haven labeled AquaRite 20K model for $439, with a no questions asked money back guarantee. Since I was thinking about taking the SWG leap on my 13 year old, 18000 gal. 16X32 inground, I took a chance and ordered one. Then of course, they send me a 10% off coupon, after I've already bought.

Their service is not the fastest, and they don't bother to let you know when it ships, or give you a tracking number unless you call, but I received it yestereday afternoon, 8 days after I ordered. That gave the salt, which was added a week ago, plenty of time to disolve. It's usually a week shipping from the west coast to me, anyway. Sure enough, it's a GoldLine AquaRite 20k with their label on it. It even has an AquaRite part number.

The install was simple enough, as they also included a kit with the wiring, flex conduit, connectors, etc. Maybe thats just part of being a Mr. fix-it, do anyting guy. Then I turned the power on and nothing! That brief moment of panic, reminded me to also turn the timer back on! After that, as advertised, lights displays, and everything appeared. Things were looking good. About 30 seconds later, the Generating LED went out and the Low Salt and Inspect Cell LED's came on solid, with the display showing only 1600ppm salt. I checked and rechecked everything, repositioned the cell, read some more on line, and always got the same upon powering back up. I rechecked the salt level in the pool, with it still showing 3300ppm, quit for the evening, and went to bed.

This morning I called the Goldline Controls support number, included on the control box, and spent several minutes, pushing buttons, giving display info, making sure the controller was labeled for the T-Cell 5 and I also had a T-Cell 5, and answering other questions with the tech guy. He seemed a little puzzled, and said that they would look into it and call me back. Meanwhile I decided to take the panel off again and have another look around inside the controller. There were a couple of jumpers on the printed circuit board and one was labeled T-Cell 15 (showing jumper installed), T-Cell 5 (showing jumper open.) I removed the jumper, as indicated for my T-Cell 5, powered it up and everything worked great, showing a salt level of 3200ppm. It's been running fine all morning.

As promised, another tech rep called. He started through the list of wanting me to push some more buttons, etc. Instead of stringing him along, I told him I had already found the problem. He also confirmed that to use the larger cell, you only need to change the jumper. The blame is really on some guy in the factory, it seems. I actually expected them to try and blame the problem on my installation, as the first guy seemed to stress the fact that I had installed it myself. The reps were actually quite nice and thank goodness it never got to that point. Heck, this ain't rocket science! Overall, it seems like a decent deal, for the money, so far.

That is the smaller capacity one that goldine just introduced recently. The standard cell is the T-15, the T-5 cell generates half the chlorine output (and is the cell that is used with the AquaTrol for above ground pools) and, IMHO, is going to be undersized for the size of your pool.
If you are able I would upgrade to the T-15. If you can't then get a T-15 when it's time to replace the cell. You ar going to have to run the T-5 near it's rated capacity to generate enough clorine in your pool. I would keep the CYA at the maximum of 80 ppm and be aware that you are going to have to keep close tabs on your pH since you will probably see more of a pH rise than with the larger cell.

True, I realize it's the smaller capacity cell. But, at that price, I'm willing to see how it goes. Before buying, I talked with a couple of friends nearby, with the smaller capacity AquaRite systems in similar sized pools. They have been using them for about a year with no problems.

My opinion is if it doesn't work out, I can spend the other $400-420 dollars for the larger cell, and still be OK.

You said: "you are going to have to keep close tabs on your pH since you will probably see more of a pH rise than with the larger cell."
I'm not sure I follow on the larger PH rise. Why?

thomslik said:
You said: "you are going to have to keep close tabs on your pH since you will probably see more of a pH rise than with the larger cell."
I'm not sure I follow on the larger PH rise. Why?
Because a smaller cell will have to run at a higher output percentage to maintain the same FC level. When the cell runs it not only produces chlorine but also hydrogen bubbles. These arerate the water and drive out CO2 from the water. This is what causes pH to rise with a SWG. If you had the larger cell you would be running at approx. half the output percentage you will need with the smaller cell so there would be less aeration and a slower pH rise. The cell you got it rated for a pool basically your size so you will be running close to full output to maintain FC levels and might need an extended pump run time alsol.

I have a question on this issue. Ther cells produce the same amount of hydrogen per amount of chlorine produced no? Then if say you need 0.5 lb chlorine per day you would get x amount of hydrogen produced per day, whether you run a smaller cell 24 hrs or a larger cell 12 hours. In other words, the smaller cell produces less chlorine per hour and also less hydrogen per hour then the large cell, but the total amount produced per day would remain the same. No?

Update.

Life is good with the off-brand Goldline SWCG. I't's working great in my 18,000 gallon, 16 X 32 pool. I've had to turn it down from the 60% setting, running the system/pump 11 hours a day. I'm still trying to get it tweaked, but somewhere between 40 and 50 percent seems to be the ideal setting.

I think it may be OK, in spite of the doubts.

Life is good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.