Cloudy water after shocking

Sep 3, 2011
I've been helping my cousin out with his pool on his new house which was a foreclosure. The pool had been neglected for 2 years and looked like a swamp. I had him by a Taylor K2006C kit and have been at his house several days over the last week to try and correct his problem. After adding some liquid chlorine, stabilizer, borax, and running his filter 24x7 here are his current numbers after 5 days:

FC: 24-27 (shock level)
TC: 0-0.5 now
pH: 7.4
CYA: 50-60
TA: 100

This is an above ground pool, 12000 gallons, sand filter, and 2 speed pump. Algae appears to be gone - followed Pool School's instructions, but the water is still very noticeably cloudy. You can sort of see the bottom. Was thinking of adding some Polyquat 60 but just not sure at this point. Should we continue shocking and running filter until it clears, or is something else up since there no longer appears to be any overnight chlorine loss?

Sand filters can take a long time to clear dead algae from the water, I assume the sand filter is building up pressure and your back washing as needed. Some people do add a scoop of DE to their sand filters between each backwash to speed up the process (the DE is flushed out with backwashing).

Ike

I'll give it a shot. As long as it's normal to take this long I feel better. One other question though, would it still be the algae with a TC level of 0-0.5? Doesn't that usually mean that the chlorine is no longer fighting an algae outbreak so no more algae exists? Or, is it trying to clean the dead particles left over? I've been BBB on my pool since I started, so I've never had to deal with anything like this. Not sure what I got myself into, but it seems to be going okay so far. I did convince him to stick to the BBB method, so I guess it's a win for him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.