Initial opening Readings and metal treatment?

Mar 31, 2012
Opened the pool today to some greenish, could still see bottom in shallow end, dirty water. 2x over the winter I drained off about 8 inches of water due to storms and snow melting on cover. It's been a tough storm season in NJ.

Levels are

FC - 0
CC - 0
PH 7.0
Cya - close to 0
TA- 10

I have an SWG but have not turned it on yet. I have the robot in now cleaning up the dirt and leaves. Mostly just dirt.

I've been using the BBB method, but have some leftover stuff - some granular pool shock (6 bags) which ill throw in to up the CYA and Chlorine. And some Chlor tabs. Those ok to use in skimmer?

What's next, get the FC levels correct then adjust PH? I also have metal stains that I wanted to clear up this season, so I have 15 lbs or vitamin C to use. What's the right time to do that?

Thanks in advance.

B

I suspect your test results are inaccurate. How are you testing?

You need to shock your pool according to the process described in Pool School.

If you think your test results are OK, then you first need to get CYA up to 30 ppm and then start the process.

Thanks.

I'm using the Taylor test kit with battery operated magnetic pill/tube tester/mixer thingy.

I think it was TA that was 10. Sorry, at the doctor office w my daughter now...

I put in the 2 drops of 0007 and 5 drops of 0008, sample turned green then I added drops of 0009 till it turned red. It took 1 drop. Multiply number of drops x 10. Wasn't that the TA?

I'll not use the pucks

Thanks. Ill add baking soda tomorrow am and run filter 24/7. Have to get a bit of fiber clear in the am.

When is the right time to introduce the VitC powder to eliminate the yellow stains on liner (I confirmed it was metal last year w vitamin C in a sock test). I believe I do that when PH is low, correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.