Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Initial opening Readings and metal treatment?

1. Back To Top    #1

Initial opening Readings and metal treatment?

Opened the pool today to some greenish, could still see bottom in shallow end, dirty water. 2x over the winter I drained off about 8 inches of water due to storms and snow melting on cover. It's been a tough storm season in NJ.

Levels are

FC - 0
    CC - 0
    PH 7.0
    Cya - close to 0
    TA- 10

I have an SWG but have not turned it on yet. I have the robot in now cleaning up the dirt and leaves. Mostly just dirt.

I've been using the BBB method, but have some leftover stuff - some granular pool shock (6 bags) which ill throw in to up the CYA and Chlorine. And some Chlor tabs. Those ok to use in skimmer?

What's next, get the FC levels correct then adjust PH? I also have metal stains that I wanted to clear up this season, so I have 15 lbs or vitamin C to use. What's the right time to do that?

Thanks in advance.

B
    NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Initial opening Readings and metal treatment?

I suspect your test results are inaccurate. How are you testing?

You need to shock your pool according to the process described in Pool School.

If you think your test results are OK, then you first need to get CYA up to 30 ppm and then start the process.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If your TA is really 10 ppm that's the first thing I'd adjust. Get it up around 70 or 80 ppm.

Don't put the tabs in the skimmer. They create a high FC and very low pH environment when the pump is off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks.

I'm using the Taylor test kit with battery operated magnetic pill/tube tester/mixer thingy.

I think it was TA that was 10. Sorry, at the doctor office w my daughter now...

I put in the 2 drops of 0007 and 5 drops of 0008, sample turned green then I added drops of 0009 till it turned red. It took 1 drop. Multiply number of drops x 10. Wasn't that the TA?

I'll not use the pucks
    NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator

5. Back To Top    #5

Should I be running the pump/filter now, and at what schedule?

Thanks
    NJ

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep that's TA. Add enough baking soda to get to about 70 ppm TA.

You should be running the pump 24 hours until you get it cleared up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Ill add baking soda tomorrow am and run filter 24/7. Have to get a bit of fiber clear in the am.

When is the right time to introduce the VitC powder to eliminate the yellow stains on liner (I confirmed it was metal last year w vitamin C in a sock test). I believe I do that when PH is low, correct?
    NJ

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You should be following the article in Pool School, "How to shock your pool". Once you have completed that process and your water is crystal clear, you can work on stain removal.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School