Pool still green and cloudy! HELP!

Casey said:
Because you will unset your liner, pull it from the track, cause unsightly wrinkles and possibly do all 3. This needs to be done in stages to prevent problems a liner will go through with draining a liner pool.

I had read before that I should leave at least 12" at bottom, so I calculate that I could do 75% drain anyway since 12" = 25% of 48".

k8conant said:
Casey said:
Because you will unset your liner, pull it from the track, cause unsightly wrinkles and possibly do all 3. This needs to be done in stages to prevent problems a liner will go through with draining a liner pool.

I had read before that I should leave at least 12" at bottom, so I calculate that I could do 75% drain anyway since 12" = 25% of 48".

Think of it this way. Sure, you could drain down to 12" and not have any problems. But what if you do? Is risking your liner worth the extra day or so it'll take to do your drain/refill in stages?

You could also closely monitor the liner during draining and stop draining if you start to see anything funky happening.

JesseWV said:
k8conant said:
Casey said:

Think of it this way. Sure, you could drain down to 12" and not have any problems. But what if you do? Is risking your liner worth the extra day or so it'll take to do your drain/refill in stages?

You could also closely monitor the liner during draining and stop draining if you start to see anything funky happening.

I was thinking of the logistics of having the water trucked in...

What is the drawback to filling with well water? Have you had your well water tested and there is a reason not to? I would think that would be way more cost efficient that having a truck brought in.

This whole process can seem overwhelming at first. Believe, I was at the end of my rope when I found this site last year. I came close to giving up and getting rid of our pool. :rant: :( :oops: But patience and persistence are two of the key players in this process. And it is just that, a process. I believe you can do this. Check out my thread to see the progress I made this year. :whoot: :whoot: :whoot: :whoot:

And it maybe be just me, but I prefer a sand filter to a cartridge filter due to the ability to backwash rather than cleaning the filters.

Just hang in there and know that we are all here to help you. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I'm arranging for my local fire company to deliver water tonight or tomorrow morning. I've got a second siphon going with a bigger hose (and just vacuumed to waste with that hose).

Is there anything I would need to do about vinyl staining? It doesn't really bother me although it's not pretty.

Attachments

• pool-1-June.jpeg
    pool-1-June.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 91
I wouldn't worry about the staining for now. We can help you address that one later.

If those stains are organic, normal chlorine levels will fix it over time. If it's metal staining (also likely if the well water was fill water) it's a more involved process, but can be fixed.

Worry about shocking and getting the basic chemistry under control. Once you understand that, it will be much easier to understand the "fixing stains" process.

After replacing 7000 gallons of water for $335, test results at 2 pm today:

FC 7.5
CC 1.5
PH 7.0
TA 100
CH 100
CYA 50

The water is very slightly cloudy but I can see the bottom.

[attachment=0:1zsp12yt]pool-2-June.jpg[/attachment:1zsp12yt]

Attachments

• pool-2-June.jpg
    pool-2-June.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 68

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Other than the CC those numbers look great. You've got this. Just hit it hard with some bleach and don't let it fall below shock level (16ppm @ 50 CYA) until you've passed the OCLT described in Shocking Your Pool

k8conant said:
After replacing 7000 gallons of water for $335, test results at 2 pm today:

FC 7.5
CC 1.5
PH 7.0
TA 100
CH 100
CYA 50

The water is very slightly cloudy but I can see the bottom.

[attachment=0:12rptoi6]pool-2-June.jpg[/attachment:12rptoi6]

JesseWV said:
Other than the CC those numbers look great. You've got this. Just hit it hard with some bleach and don't let it fall below shock level (16ppm @ 50 CYA) until you've passed the OCLT described in Shocking Your Pool

Tonight I retested FC and CC

FC 7.0
CC .5

Then according to the Pool Calculator I added 1 jug of 8% bleach to bring FC up to 16 ppm but when I tested 1/2 hour later it was actually up to 21 ppm.

I was going to do the OCLT tomorrow morning, but a rainstorm just went through. <sigh>

I suppose I'll test anyway in the morning. What should I do with the rain? Sadly the weather was great and wonderfully hot until this afternoon. Now it looks as if we're in for temperatures only in the 70s or 80s for highs and maybe more thunderstorms.

k8conant said:
JesseWV said:

Tonight I retested FC and CC

FC 7.0
CC .5

Then according to the Pool Calculator I added 1 jug of 8% bleach to bring FC up to 16 ppm but when I tested 1/2 hour later it was actually up to 21 ppm.

I was going to do the OCLT tomorrow morning, but a rainstorm just went through. <sigh>

I suppose I'll test anyway in the morning. What should I do with the rain? Sadly the weather was great and wonderfully hot until this afternoon. Now it looks as if we're in for temperatures only in the 70s or 80s for highs and maybe more thunderstorms.

It is possible that your pool is 6000 instead of 7000 gallons.

I may be slightly off on the tests.

Monday, 3 June 2013 8:25 am

FC 19.5
CC 1.0

Monday, 3 June 2013 9:30 pm

FC 17
CC < 5

Tuesday, 4 June 2013 7:00 am

FC 19
CC < .5

(I don't know how FC went up overnight other than through an error of mine in testing. In any case I have not added any more bleach because the FC has remained above shock level.

I swam in the pool yesterday afternoon and it has been overflowing from the skimmer because of that and the rain Sunday night.

If it warms up some today I'll get in to brush and/or vacuum (there were tree seeds and a few leaves in i)---and swim too!

It's raining for the second day now.

Test results this morning:

FC 18.5
CC 0.2
TA 75
CH 125
CYA 60

I've already run out of CYA reagent (R-0013). Do I need to keep testing that? I'll have to order some more.

I had added 12 oz. of 8.25% bleach Wednesday evening. I'm happy with the looks of the pool right now Can't tell about sparkle in the dreary weather.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.