Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I can not keep my filter psi low

1. Back To Top    #1

I can not keep my filter psi low

I have a Hayward cartradge filter 90sqft, with a unicel 8409 filter. I cannot for the life of me keep the psi from climbing 10 psi within hours of cleaning. The filter is only 3-4 month old and looks pure white. My last one did the same thing and that is why I replaced it. Please help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I can not keep my filter psi low

Usually that happens because your filter is relatively small compared to the size of your pool and there is lots of debris in the water for the filter to remove. Once the filter catches up and cleans the water the rate at which the pressure goes up will drop significantly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah my pool is around 17k gallons... I need a bigger filter i think.

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you sure you are not fighting an algae bloom too? Even a small filter should last a week between cleanings.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

No algae, just had an acid wash done....