What have I got here? Water is clear, buttom of pool green.

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
Just opening up after the winter. I left it closed longer this year, because we took an early vacation. It will be consistent 90s this week, so I figure it's a good time to open her up.

I had it covered all winter.

Now, it smells swampy, and there are tiny tadpoles swimming around. The bottom of the pool is filthy with pollen, etc. but I've skimmed the leaves, etc. out. Although the pool looks horrible, the water I pulled out to test is clear. I am now going to test that water.

Am I looking at following the algae removal process, or simply shocking and cleaning the pool? It looks like mainly it's a dirty bottom. I should not that a couple weeks ago, I peeking in the pool and it wasn't anywhere near this bad. This is pollen, etc. that has fallen recently on to the cover.

Should I filter first, then use the vacuum? Or vacuum first?

Re: What have I got here? Water is clear, buttom of pool gr

Thanks. There was so much Crud floating around, including tadpoles, I fired up the filter first and hit it with some chlorine. What's on the bottom is more green dust, so it moves even as I was adding water from the hose. I don't have time to vaccum it today, but tonight or tomorrow I should have plenty of time. My vacuum works well, but it flips over sometimes, so I need to babysit it.

Test results were:

CYA - 0
TC - 0
PH 7.0

I added 63 oz of chlorine, then realized. The chlorine available now looks to be 8.25% concentrated and not the 6% the calculator was made for. So, oops. I guess it's a bit more than I needed. I adjusted my calculator for 8.25% now. Of course, I wonder if the 8.25% is BS that allows them to sell a smaller jug for a similar price of the larger. I'll leave that to the chemical geeks here.

I'm adding a stocking with some stabilizer, to get the CYA up.

I ran the hose like a fountain, to add O2 and get the PH up. I've never had to adjust for PH or TA, so I'm staying away from that until I get the rest situated.

Re: What have I got here? Water is clear, buttom of pool gr

joseywales said:
Of course, I wonder if the 8.25% is BS that allows them to sell a smaller jug for a similar price of the larger.
Around here, the package of three 121 oz bottles of 8.25% regular Clorox are within a few pennies of what the old 3-pack of 182 oz bottles at 6% sold for. However, although the concentration per oz is higher than before, the new 121 oz, 8.25% 3-pack contains a bit less chlorine overall compared to the former 182 oz , 6% 3-pack. The bleach concentration would have to be ~ 9% for the 121 oz bottles to be equivalent to the total amount of chlorine in the 6% 182 oz bottles.

182 oz / 121 oz = 1.504
6% * 1.504 = 9.025%

Figured another way, the 8.25% bottles would have to be ~132.4 oz.
8.25% / 6% = 1.375
182 oz / 1.375 = 132.36

On the plus side, the new packaging is less bulky than the former.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.