Should I keep shocking pool till it clears?

azazel

Feb 3, 2011
I have been working on a algae pool sense last Saturday. Attached a pic from start and here it is as of today 5/29

I have added shock everday. It keeps chlorine over nights now but get to about 2.0 by morning. I did a vacuum to waste again today to get rid of stuff on bottom.

My chems are

Ph 7.4
Ta 110
Hardness 250
Cc 3
Fc 12
As for cya I think maybe a 20
Only have test strip for that test.

But water is getting clear but very cloudy now. Should hold off on shocking now?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369834767411.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369834767411.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 225
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369834825103.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369834825103.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 225
hyje2ere.jpg

re4asupe.jpg

Keep shocking. You need to continue shocking until all three criteria are met, one of which is "the water is crytal clear."

Are you saying that the FC is going down BY 2 every night? Or that it's going all the way down TO 2? If it's the former, keep at it. If it's the latter, you're letting FC get way too low, and you need to test and dose more often than you are.

Fc drops to around a 2 in 24hrs. I normally work on it about 6 in morning. So ill go get some more shock today dose it good again. Is it possable to be clear by Saturday maybe?

azazel said:
Fc drops to around a 2 in 24hrs. I normally work on it about 6 in morning. So ill go get some more shock today dose it good again. Is it possable to be clear by Saturday maybe?

The more diligent you are about keeping FC up to where it kills algae, the faster things will clear.
[center:peghbo3o]
file.php
[/center:peghbo3o]

You said you have "added shock everyday": what chlorine source are you using: liquid bleach, or some sort of powdered or puck form of stabilized chlorine.

You need to shock the pool at NIGHT to get the best bang for your buck. Hopefully you aren't lining the pool stores pockets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Regular, unscented, not easy-pour bleach is what we tpically suggest using as your chlorine source. If you want to get, and easily keep, control of your pool you need to:

1. Order a test kit with FAS-DPD (I suggest the TF-100 you can find links to throughout this forum)
2. Start using liquid chlorine (bleach) instead of other forms of chlorine
3. Read through pool school. Then read it again. Then re-read How to Complete the Shock Process and ABC's entries again.

Although getting and keeping your pool water sparkly clean and clear is not difficult or expensive, there is a necessary learning curve and initial investment of both time (reading and re-reading Pool School) and money (to get the proper test). You can do this, but you have to put in the up front resources to reap the benefit. Thereafter, it will truly be a bit boring to keep your pool clean.

Every time you add that powder, you're also raising the Calcium level. If you're in a hard water area, you're just making more work for yourself in the future.

Also note that a lot of people have reported their pool got cloudy after adding Cal-hypo. You're not doing yourself any favors there, either. Try the search box for calcium cloudiness.

Well I hope thats all shock I need. Water is clean looking minus all the cloudiness. This kiddy pool is shared water from the pool.
emebu7yq.jpg

But if need more shock ill switch to bleach.

That is a beautiful pool set up - it will be even more awesome when you get it sparkly clear and you will be amazed at how sparkly it will stay. To have a sparkly pool, I reiterate that you need to order a proper test kit that will allow you to test Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine. You need to complete this shock PROCESS you have started. "Shock" as used on this forum refers to the process of holding your chlorine level sufficiently high, for a sustained time, so as to kill off organics such as algae. You have clearly made some headway toward clearing your pool, as evidenced by the photos showing better water. BUT in order to have completed the shock process, your water must pass a three-part test:

1. No more than .5 CC (Combined Chlorine) as tested with a proper kit you can read about and link to from here: pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison
2. AND your water is crystal clear
3. AND your water loses no more than 1 FC overnight - which will show that you have no more organics that will re-populate when you let your chlorine drop below shock level.

To perform this shock process, you must:
1. have a proper test kit that will give you accurate results on your FC, CC and CYA (at a minimum)
2. read pool school and get a handle on pool water maintenance and how to use the Pool Calculator, and the importance of following the Shock Process instructions completely
3. you must test for your CYA level and super-dose your pool with BLEACH to arrive at Shock Level for your CYA value and you must keep your chlorine level at that Shock Level for a sustained amount of time to pass the three-part test listed above. For some pools, that may mean you will test and add chlorine every few hours for several days. For other pools, it may only take one day of super-dosing at Shock Level. It all depends on what you have going on in your water, and to KNOW that answer you need a proper test kit - your eyes alone will not be able to answer the question accurately.

If you let up now, you will likely get behind the organics and they will again flourish and turn your water nasty. Keep going with the shock process and follow it to completion and you will have, and be in a position to keep, a crystal clear pool all season. Many of our members who regularly test with the appropriate test kit and add only those chemicals needed based on those test results, will go YEARS without needing to shock their pool. You are on your way - don't let up!!

Well just shocked my pool again. I switched to bleach this morning. Total of 8 2 qt bottles. I add some cya this morning also. And puts some de in to help the filter out. So will see how it looks in the morning. I could see bottom drains pretty good this evening. So may meet the Saturday mark.

azazel,

I don't mean to sound rude, but you need to re-read the advice given to you by others above. Shocking is not an singular event, or a product you buy; it's a process. You should carefully read The Shock Process. Unless you are performing the shock process with a quality test kit, you are just blindly treating your pool. Maybe you'll get lucky and end up with a crystal-clear pool, but more likely you will just be throwing away money as the algae continues to bloom as you pour more and more chemicals in.

I have order the test kit. But the kit I have gives me everything but cya and calcium hardness. I have read pool school shock many times. And I have test strips for now that can give me ball park numbers for the cya and ch till my kit comes in the mail. My pool is pretty close to being crystal clear. I started on a solid green pool last Saturday. So 2 more days will be a week of working on it which from what I read is pretty normal for a sand filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.