Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return Jets and Auto Fill Jet Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Return Jets and Auto Fill Jet Question

I'm in the process of opening a 16 x 32 vinyl pool. On one end it has two skimmers, on the other end it has 2 return jets and approximately 2/3 of the way closest to the skimmers on one side is an auto fill.

I removed the winterization plugs and have 3 return jet caps with different size openings (small, medium and large).

So the question is; Do I use the small return cap on the auto fill and put the cap with the largest opening at the end of the return line ? Not exactly sure which one goes where.

I've done a search and even tried to look it up in my Ultimate Guide to Pool Maintenance book but coming up with no definitive answer.

TIA
    Simple Pool Pro App

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return Jets and Auto Fill Jet Question

Welcome to TFP!

There is no one answer, it depends on many details of your situation. Also, the selection of return caps isn't usually critical, if you get it wrong things will still work.

There are two reasons for varying the size of the return opening. One is to balance pressure. If the plumbing is done the easy way the pressure will be higher at the returns nearer the pump. To balance out the return flow you then use a smaller opening on the nearer jet so you get the same flow rate from both near and far returns. Another reason to vary the return caps is if your pool layout dictates different uses for different returns. Smaller openings give higher speed jets, which are less appropriate for say steps and more appropriate for returns that move water across the entire length of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response Jason and thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I found your information helpful.
    Simple Pool Pro App

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

The autofill does not actually need any eye-ball / cap.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Welcome to TFP!!!

The autofill does not actually need any eye-ball / cap.
    That's good to know. There are 2 returns and 3 caps at this job. I used the smallest at the end of the line and the mid size one as the first. Seems to be pushing the surface water to the skimmers on the other end pretty well.
    Simple Pool Pro App