Return Jets and Auto Fill Jet Question

Blue Fin

In The Industry
Feb 1, 2012
East Hampton, NY USA
I'm in the process of opening a 16 x 32 vinyl pool. On one end it has two skimmers, on the other end it has 2 return jets and approximately 2/3 of the way closest to the skimmers on one side is an auto fill.

I removed the winterization plugs and have 3 return jet caps with different size openings (small, medium and large).

So the question is; Do I use the small return cap on the auto fill and put the cap with the largest opening at the end of the return line ? Not exactly sure which one goes where.

I've done a search and even tried to look it up in my Ultimate Guide to Pool Maintenance book but coming up with no definitive answer.

TIA

Welcome to TFP!

There is no one answer, it depends on many details of your situation. Also, the selection of return caps isn't usually critical, if you get it wrong things will still work.

There are two reasons for varying the size of the return opening. One is to balance pressure. If the plumbing is done the easy way the pressure will be higher at the returns nearer the pump. To balance out the return flow you then use a smaller opening on the nearer jet so you get the same flow rate from both near and far returns. Another reason to vary the return caps is if your pool layout dictates different uses for different returns. Smaller openings give higher speed jets, which are less appropriate for say steps and more appropriate for returns that move water across the entire length of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.