Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cya always clear in the bottle

1. Back To Top    #1

Cya always clear in the bottle

Hello everyone, new pool owner since last week. Its a 15,000 gal play pool 3-5 feet from shallow to deep. My question is i know that the startup guy added stabilizer to the pool. I have also added instant conditioner to the pool. When i test for cya though the test solution is still very clear, and not cloudy hardly at all. The dot never disappears at all. How is that possible? Here are my results from tonight.
    FC 3.2
    CC 0
    Ph 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA. 30?

Thanks and i look forward to your replies to my first post

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cya always clear in the bottle

Welcome

The CYA test only reads down to about 20.

The granular can take up to a week to fully dissolve and register on tests. So, you are wasting reagent when trying to test too soon.

You can ask him how much he added and you should know how much you added. Use the total amount for now to calculate your bleach/liquid chlorine doses.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It can take up to a week for recently added granular CYA/Stabilizer to appear in test results. As for the instant conditioner, I'm assuming it a liquid but do you recall the % concentration of CYA included in the ingredients?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, the percentage on the conditioner claims 35%. It states that it will raise a 10,000 gallon pool 32ppm if the entire jug is used. I have used about half the jug and the startup guy put in a couple cups ( estimation) of the granular

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bghere67
    Hi, the percentage on the conditioner claims 35%. It states that it will raise a 10,000 gallon pool 32ppm if the entire jug is used. I have used about half the jug and the startup guy put in a couple cups ( estimation) of the granular

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Okay...so half a jug will raise a 5000 gallon pool 32 ppm. Or a 15000 gallon pool about 10.

2 cups of granular will raise CYA bout 8.

So you're at about 18. Certainly no more than 20. Which corresponds nicely with the test results.

Use 20 as "Now" and maybe 45 at the "Target" in the http://www.poolcalculator.com/ If it's still low, it's easy enough to add a little more. Don't just dump it in the skimmer. Use the sock method.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by bghere67

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Okay...so half a jug will raise a 5000 gallon pool 32 ppm. Or a 15000 gallon pool about 10.

2 cups of granular will raise CYA bout 8.

So you're at about 18. Certainly no more than 20. Which corresponds nicely with the test results.

Use 20 as "Now" and maybe 45 at the "Target" in the http://www.poolcalculator.com/ If it's still low, it's easy enough to add a little more. Don't just dump it in the skimmer. Use the sock method.
    Thanks sir(s) for the help. I will test again at the end of the week.