Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool New Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool New Pool Owner

Just bought a new home with my first pool. We are still closing but I have been out to check the pool. I am trying to keep the pool in decent shape. Here are the water test results.
    FC 4
    TC 4
    CH 350
    CYA 200
    TA 120
    PH 7.4
    Pho 1000
    Pool does get a lot of direct sun shine. It had some leaves etc in bottom and when I swept it it seemed like it had a layer of dust on the bottom, which I am assuming is actually algae. Water was pretty clear.
    Any suggests on what I need to do to maintain the pool and get it back into swimming shape would be great. Thanks
    40x24 approx 40k, IG, Pebble Tech, Sand Filter Sta-Rite System3 S8S70, 1 HP Sta-rite max e pro,not sure how old the pool is, more than 10 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool New Pool Owner

With a CYA level of 200 (how did you get this reading, most tests only read up to 100)?

You are going to likely need to drain off and replace about 3/4 of the water
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Those smell of pool store test results. Order one of the recommended test kits while you are waiting and keep reading Pool School. A large water replacement is likely in your future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

First thing would be to read pool school a few times located at the top right of every page and order one of the recommended test kits found on this forum.you also need to get your cya down to a manageable level 40-50ppm for a non swg pool and the only way to do that is by partial drain and refill.it will cost so much more to try to shock your pool at the current cya level assuming the readings you supplied are correct......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

5. Back To Top    #5

Dang you jblizzle you beat me to it again.....lol
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm

6. Back To Top    #6

And isacc

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    With a CYA level of 200 (how did you get this reading, most tests only read up to 100)?

You are going to likely need to drain off and replace about 3/4 of the water
    Brought a water sample to Leslie's Pool supplies and had them test it. Sounds like I should get another sample.
    40x24 approx 40k, IG, Pebble Tech, Sand Filter Sta-Rite System3 S8S70, 1 HP Sta-rite max e pro,not sure how old the pool is, more than 10 years.

8. Back To Top    #8

Indeed the results were from a pool store Leslie's Pool supplies. They tried to sell me a 75 dollar of "stuff" to deal with the high pho levels and never mentioned the cya levels. It sounds like I would be better off to drain the pool power wash it and start over. Would that be a good plan of action?

9. Back To Top    #9

It could be a good plan of action, if it is truly needed. The $75 dollars suggested to be spent to remove phosphates from your pool would be much better spent ordering your own test kit. Phosphates are food for algae, but if you have no algae through proper pool maintenance it doesn't matter how much food there is. Bottom line is the pool store wants to sell you chemicals, this forum is all about testing your pool and adding only what you need.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing