Baking soda causes SWG to say to much salt?

kyle11

May 17, 2012
I put some baking soda mixed in a bucket through the skimmer the other day and about 30 minutes later noticed my aqua logic saying the salt level was to high. Is their a reason behind this? Should I turn off the SWG when adding baking soda through the skimmer? I turned the percentage to 0 then turned it back to my normal operating percentage a few minutes later and the message was gone.

Most swg's use conductivity of the water as an extrapolation of the salt level. Since baking soda is sodium bicarb, passing a concentrated mixture of it through the cell could cause the cell to temporarily read the salt level higher than it really is.

Ok thanks. On a side question. My TA was 50. I added baking soda to raise it to 70 but had to add MA soon after to adjust PH so TA is now 60. Should I leave it and let it rise normally or add more baking soda to raise?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.