Hayward Max-flo VS vs tristar

Apr 28, 2013
Need some opinions. I just bought a pool kit from Pool Warehouse. 16x32 rectangle w/4-6-4 sport bottem. Aqua Genie Skimmer, 4 deck jets, in wall pool cleaner attachment. I thought I wanted the 2 speed Tristar 1.5 hp, so that's what I got. In talking to the electrician that is wiring my pool, he said I wanted the Variable speed. I had only heard of the ecostar, which was out of my price range. I then found the Max-Flo VS. Talked to Pool Warehouse and they said I had to pay a 25% restocking fee on the Tristar, plus shipping to send it back and shipping on the new pump. That comes to about a $250-$300 increase on the pump.

Needless to say, after the hole was started we found out we had to reroute our Sanitary sewer (long Story) so Money is getting tight.
Do you think the increased cost is worth for the variable speed or should I just stick with the Tristar?

Thanks in advance. More details available if needed!! LOL

Rod

For what it's worth I have an Eco-Star and I love it. The speed flexibility and how quiet it runs is amazing. Hayward has an excellent app for iOS devices to help show you savings based on your electric rates and different speeds, etc... It's actually a well done app comparing single stage, 2 stage and VS pumps. Also, look for rebates on their web site. We received a $50 rebate last month for ours. Also check your utility company for rebates. Several states were giving credits for switching to VS pumps.

If the electric rate is in cents, then you have very cheap electricity. Even at ohio average of $0.112, you would have a hard time justify a vsp...usually need to get up to 20 cents or so. In your case it is unlikely a variable speed will pay back on itself (especially with the extra charges you will have to do it).

The max-flo vs is a smaller pump, but I am not sure if it would be too small since you have those high volume water features (deck jets). It probably depends on the rest of your plumbing.

As a side note we have a 24" water feature and we have it programmed through the automation system to kick the speed up of the Eco-star pump when we turn that on and it works great.

Great points on aback though. I pay close to .08 cents for electricity in our state.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.