broken drain plug housing

May 28, 2013
The drain plug to my sand filter siezed. When I tried to turn it, the housing, including the plug, broke at where they join the actual plastic tank. This left about 2" of the housing screwed in the hole in the tank. Without emptying the sand and trying to get it out from the inside, is there any other way to remove it. The part in the tank is hollow.

That depends on how those parts work on your particular filter.

Frequently, there is a central drain plug that allows you to drain water out of the filter, and a larger drain plug that the smaller one screws into. The larger one allows you to drain sand out of the filter. If your setup is like that you should be able to remove the larger sand plug and replace it with a new one without emptying very much of the sand out.

Here in lies the problem. The bigger drain that the water drain screws into broke off even with the tank. I can't get a hold of it from the outside to unscrew it. I tried cautiously to chip it to see if it would break but am afraid of messing up the threads on the tank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.