Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Numbers help please

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Numbers help please

Just opened our pool yesterday. The water temp upon opening was 54 degrees, and after running heater, temp is now 74 degrees.

We have a vinyl lined 20k gallon inground pool and have a SWG. We have not turned on the SWG yet. We added 2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine last night, which according to the pool cal, should have raised chlorine from 0 to 10.

Just ran a test:

FC 0.5
    CC 1.0
    TC 1.5
    pH 7.3
    TA 120

I didn't do the CYA test yet (will be doing tomorrow) and then I just bought some powder CYA which I'll be adding, but if I remember correctly, it takes a week or so for the numbers to increase.

The pool has had the solar cover on today, plus it was raining all day.

Is it normal for my FC to be so low after adding 2 gallons of chlorine? Husband says the chlorine must be defective
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Numbers help please

Well, clearly there must be something in the water consuming the FC. You need to test the CYA, dose for around 30ppm as required, follow the shock process (assuming the CYA is active even though it may take a week to show up on the test). Once the shock process is complete, then bump the CYA up for SWG levels and fire up the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jason, I appreciate it. Yeah, never had this problem with an opening before so it kind of surprised me. Water is crystal clear, but yeah, there has to be something consuming the FC. Will shock and hope for the best
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no "hoping" required. It WILL work
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

UPDATE: Sorry I haven't posted back in a few days, my computer was down. Anyway, after 4 days of the shock process, I am happy to say that we passed the OCLT this morning. I still don't understand it. The whole time the pool was crystal clear, but CC was always 1 and chlorine would go from shock level down to zero overnight.

Here's this mornings number: FC 23, CC 0, CYA 60
    Now I'm just wondering how long it will take for the FC to go down, then I will start the SWG. Thanks again!

6. Back To Top    #6

Safe to swim up to shock level if that is a concern. You will likely lose at least 25% of the FC each day if you have a fair bit of sun.
    Jason, TFP Moderator