Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too Much Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Too Much Salt

I have been a member for a little while and can usually find an answer to any question by looking through the site. This time I can't seem to find the answer. I made a mistake when adding values into the pool pal app and I added too much salt to my pool. I have an Aqua Rite salt water generator with a t-9 cell. This is the second season for it and the cell is clean. The correct volume for the pool is 11,300 gallons.

Using a salt test kit my level is 3970 ppm and the Aquarite is showing 4000 ppm. The normal operating range is 3200-3400 ppm. I know that I have to remove some water and replace it with new, but how much?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Foxxx 12x28 vinyl-lined, in-ground 11,300 gallons, Hayward 1 hp pump and DE filter, Hayward Aqua Rite salt water generator with t-9 turbo cell, Leslies Coppertherm 150,000 btu LP gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too Much Salt

Welcome to TFP!

You shouldn't have to replace too much water to get the AquaRite working. They will usually work up to 3800 to 4200 (depending on the calibration or lack thereof). Given that you should only have to replace 5% to 10% of your water to get the SWG to be happy, and can allow the salt level to fall slowly back down to something more normal over the rest of the season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. So I guess I'm pumping out 1.5 to 2 feet of water and refilling tomorrow. At least its still too cold to get in...lol
    Foxxx 12x28 vinyl-lined, in-ground 11,300 gallons, Hayward 1 hp pump and DE filter, Hayward Aqua Rite salt water generator with t-9 turbo cell, Leslies Coppertherm 150,000 btu LP gas heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

How deep is your pool? 10% is likely closer to 4-6 inches
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

6 feet at the deep end and 3 at the shallow.

6. Back To Top    #6

Call it an average of 4 feet ... 10% is 4.8"
    if averager 5 feet (likely too high) ... 10% is 6"

I would replace about 5" at most.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome! Thanks again. This site has always been a huge help.