Cloudy pool that will not clear up!

May 13, 2013
Forest, Va.
Hello,
I need help!! Last fall my pool became very cloudy. I shocked it a few times and it never cleared up. I was very busy with work, so I made the mistake of just covering it and dealing with it in the spring. Fast forward to now. I opened pool April 1st, very cloudy and slightly green. Super chlorinated pool with 8 pounds of granular shock. It killed the algae, which floated to the top. Ran filter non stop and swept daily. Used Ultra vac and picked up lots of leaves and dead worms for several days,until vac ran for a day with out picking up anything. At this point I thought I had all debris from bottom. Pool turned blue but still cloudy. Ordered and received T-100 test kit. results:
FC -1PPM
CC - 3PPM
TC - 4PPM
TA - 90PPM
CYA - 20PPM
CH - 80PPM

So I am switching to BBB, today shocked with 8.5% bleach 424 ounces. Check after 2 hours and FC was 3.5PPM but CC shot up to 8PPM. Repeated shock process with another 424 ounces, waited about 2 hours and readings were the same. I am frustrated and am starting to think that maybe it would be better to drain and refill! I am thinking maybe there is still more debris on bottom, without being able to see bottom it is hard to tell. Please help!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

With the high CC valve, you need to continue with the shock process as described in Pool School. Any idea what your CYA was at the end of last season (how did you formerly chlorinate?)?

With an IG vinyl pool, you should NOT drain the pool unless you are planning on buying a new liner.

Just be patient and keep testing and adding bleach ... you should see the CC start to diminish and the FC level to become more stable.

So sorry, I forgot to post the PH. It was about 7.2, but I adjusted it up to 7.5 this morning before I shocked this afternoon. I was using 3 inch trichloro 90% puck's for stabilizer ( I still am using these) and granular dichloro 55.5%. Also noticed this evening that I am getting a white suds on the surface, maybe from the bleach shock?

The use of trichlor and dichlor last season likely resulted in a high CYA value. You are showing high CC values and low CYA, so likely some of the CYA was converted to ammonia which is not showing up as CC ... you just have to continue to shock process.

You should also track how many pucks you use so that the CYA does not get too high before switching to all liquid chlorine.

Stabilizer is only removed from the pool if water is removed (backwashing, splash out) and replaced (not due to evaporation). It is not consumed like chlorine is everyday. So once you get the CYA set at an appropriate level, then stick to bleach only.

Hello, today I started with a PH test which was 7.2PPM, so I adjusted up to 7.5 with baking soda. I checked FC 1PPM, and with CC the sample turned bright pink, knowing it was way off and not wanting to waste the chemical I left it at that. Shocked with 400 ounces of 8.5 bleach. Came back 2 hours later and FC was 2.5PPM and CC was bright pink again so I shocked with another 400 ounces of bleach.

Came back two hours later and did a full analysis as follows:
PH 6.8PPM
FC 9PPM
CC 3.5PPM
TC 12.5PPM
TA 80PPM
CH 40PPM
CYA 30PPM

I am not sure why PH and CH dropped. Water looks slightly better. with FC of 9 not sure if I should shock again today, or wait till tomorrow?
Also, when checking for chlorine while mixing the sample, some times it will turn clear, then a few seconds later turn back to pink. I assume that you keep adding chemical until sample stays clear permanently?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.