Test results

maxsrents

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2007
NJ
Our first test was done in the pool store and a partial refill was recommended. I just did a test with my new TF testkit (hoping the pool store numbers were wrong) and these are the numbers:

pH 7.5
Cl 3
CC 4.5
CH 100
T/A 50
CYA 100

What are your suggestions now? And is there any specific order to correct the water balance. Thanks for you help.

Hi, Carolyn,

Your CYA is too high. It may even be higher than 100...did the dot disappear before you got to the 100 mark?

The solution to that is to do a partial drain and refill.....no other practical way to get the excess CYA out of there.

I know that's a big pool and, if water is expensive in your area, that may not be practical.

The pool can be managed with that high CYA but it quite difficult and will give you a headache. (figuratively)

Give us a decision on your ability to drain out about 40% of the water and we'll go from there....either way

Thanks, Dave-I was hoping for a different answer though. The dot pretty much disappeared at the 100 mark. If draining is the only way to decrease the CYA then that is what I'll do. I'll have to wait 'til next week when my boys are back in school. What are the risks to us swimming/or the pool while the CYA is high?

What are the risks to us swimming/or the pool while the CYA is high?
virtually none for the CYA...it's harmless enough.

But one of the problems of high CYA is that it renders chlorine much less effective. So that COULD make your pool less sanitary....emphasize COULD and not WOULD.

It's another reason to lower your CYA and, unfortunately, the only practical way to do that is to drain some water.

You really want to lower your CYA level. With CYA where it is now you need to keep FC around 9 to 15 and shock level is almost 30. It isn't a good idea to go swimming with FC as low as you have it now.

I also see that you list CC as 4.5. You want to get CC down to 0.5 or lower before swimming. Lowering CC requires shocking the pool. Given how much chlorine that will take with your CYA level, I suggest dealing with bringing down the CYA level first and shocking the pool second.

Oops...my test taking skills stink! I testing again this morning, after JasonLion's comments on my CC, and realized I screwed up with the numbers (sorry). Todays results are :

Cl 5
pH 7.5
FC 7.5
CC 0

Are these numbers OK? Or do I still need to be concerned? I am still planning on draining and refilling to lower the CYA.

That is much better!

You still need to bring FC up a little more, to between 9 and 15 as I said last time. If you do that and the water is clear then you will be alright to swim for now. Long term you still need to bring the CYA down.

The inline chlorinator is what is causing your high CYA problem in the first place. Trichlor tablets add CYA to the pool. You need to use higher chlorine levels as the CYA level goes up. Meanwhile the inline chlorinator is adding yet more CYA. You either need to stop using the inline chlorinator or drastically lower the CYA level. In the short run increasing the setting on the inline chlorinator a little will raise the FC level, but that will only lead to more CYA and more trouble.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use "The Pool Calculator" in Jason's sig to determine how much to add. Buy 6% Ultra Bleach (cheapest brand) at grocery store and add slowly, really slowly, around pool. I'm estimating you will need 2 gal bleach to raise FC from 7.5 to 13. You will have to lower your CYA no matter what method of chlorination you use or you will waste $$ on chlorine. If you use bleach you will be at the first B of BBB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.