skimmer crack repair

May 20, 2013
I have a crack inside the skimmer wall. The previous owner repaired the crack, I can see white putty like material along the crack line. The skimmer is leaking now again. I searched the board and found out that I can repair the crack with 2-part epoxy. My question is that how do I figure out if the previous owner used 2-part epoxy. If so, do I need to get the old epoxy cleaned up before applying new epoxy? Can I just sand off a thin layer of the old epoxy. Does epoxy bond well with old epoxy? I will take pictures once I get home. Thanks.

I would get the previous stuff off the crack with some fine sand paper to get it cleaned up the best you can. Then use the epoxy.

JB weld might also work but I can't remember for sure if its ok for plastic. You could check and see if it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

took a picture of the crack. Looks like the crack was caused by concrete/soil movement. In this case, can I sand off the white putty and seal it with silicon sealer? How long will silicon sealer last under water?

No one can tell you how long silicone will last but I can tell you for certain it is not as good as epoxy.

You could try the silicone and, if it fails too soon, then use the epoxy.

Polyurethane caulk will do a better job than silicone (but it's harder to work with) and neither one is as good as epoxy.

I had to repair a crack in my skimmer. I used marine epoxy and a piece of flat plastic I got from Lowes. The plastic had to be cut and trimmed to fit with a dremel. The crack had to sanded a little to rough up the surface. Then I coated the plastic with the epoxy, placed it over the crack, and put three bricks on top to apply some pressure. All this was done under water and so far (1 year) it has held up and shows no sign of coming loose or leaking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a crack inside the skimmer wall. The previous owner repaired the crack, I can see white putty like material along the crack line. The skimmer is leaking now again. I searched the board and found out that I can repair the crack with 2-part epoxy. My question is that how do I figure out if the previous owner used 2-part epoxy. If so, do I need to get the old epoxy cleaned up before applying new epoxy? Can I just sand off a thin layer of the old epoxy. Does epoxy bond well with old epoxy? I will take pictures once I get home. Thanks.

I am opening my above ground and I just noticed I have a leak in my skimmer. I must have cracked it when I pushed the hose on. I tried putting that vinyl pool patch on it and that didn't work. Now, I'm draining the pool to the crack and I'll let it dry and use epoxy.

It is a better first try rather than replacing the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.