INTEX Pool, Filter, Pump & Install Newbie Help Questions

RubyLK

May 21, 2013
Michigan
Hello everyone,

I am new to TroubleFreePool. I spent a great deal of time reading reviews and ratings for Intex pools on various sites like Meijer, Walmart and Target, and found a post a few weeks ago from a lady who said she had found alot of help here on TFP, and she highly recommended it. So, I've been soaking up with info. and help I can ever since, and here I am.

I have so many questions, I'm not even quite sure where to begin. Here's my situation.

I have wanted a pool for a very, VERY long time. At this time I thought it best to buy an Intex pool since the investment isn't huge, and will help me decide if I ultimately enjoy having a pool, and want to upgrade to something bigger, deeper or more permanent in the future.

I bought my house 3 years ago, and found out at the closing that the previous owners had an in-ground pool in the backyard which was filled in prior to putting the house up for sale. Their realtor told them they'd never sell the house while it had a pool, presumably for safety reasons. From what neighbors have told me, it was beautiful blue water and a great pool, so naturally this boggles my mind.

Anyway, the old inground pool was oval in shape, and had the sides smashed in, and was then filled up with the concrete and lots of fill dirt, etc. before new grass seed was planted. This was in 2009. For along time I haven't known quite where the old pool was, until I did recently find a satellite aerial pic. from the county showing it. After reading alot about how to properly install an Intex pool (and get it to last), a contractor is coming to level the ground for me with construction equip. next week. I still have not decided exactly where I would like to put my new pool. Has anyone installed an above ground Intex atop of an old buried inground pool? If so what are the results? Some people have told me since its been buried 5+ years already, its already settled, and should be fine. Others have said it could be an issue. Either way, I don't know EXACTLY where the pool is in the yard, I can only look at trees, fences etc. from the image I have and try to approximate the location of it.

Also, does anyone have pictures of their round (or rectangle) Intex pools, preferably with people in them? I've struggled alot with deciding what size to purchase, and I've heard complaints that the stock photos from the manufacturer is not accurate, like a 18 x 52 pool on Meijer.com showing a 24 x 52 for the photo, or vice versa. I'm trying to get an idea of the differences in swimming space, and number of people who will comfortably fit in the pool for an 18 x 52 versus a 20 x 52, 22 x 52, 24 x 52 or 26 x 52. I've bought an 18' round, which is still fully returnable and hasn't been opened yet, but now found both 20, 22, and 24 (out of stock at the moment) for the exact same price. 26' is $250 more. Note - I know its frustrating that some of these intex ultra frame sizes are not listed on IntexCorp.com, but I've found them on other retailer sites, as well as here on TroubleFreePool, so I do know they exist.

I've also had some issues figuring out which pools include the saltwater system (which I've read wonderful things about) and which don't. Ideally I want to choose an intex pool that DOES have a UL listed filter and pump, and the GFCI. The one I bought is listed as having a '1600 gph Sand/Saltwater System Filter Pump Combo System'. Anyone know what this is? I've also read that there are both an Intex Saltwater system AND a 'Deluxe' Intex Saltwater system. I just know I don't want to get stuck buying tons of chemicals I can't afford because of green water, and spending lots on the filter cartridges.

The larger 26' round Intex Ultra frame pool I've found is $999. I believe this one comes with only the basic pump and filter, which I would have to replace with the saltwater system. The listing doesn't specify. I've never owned a pool before and still don't fully understand, how many different 'PIECES' will this system need, how many cords to plug in? Are the Saltwater System and Sand Filter the same thing, or 2 different things? Do I need both? From what I've gathered, I think I need a sand filter, a saltwater system, AND a pump, but am I wrong?

Thank you in advance for any and all help! :)

Welcome to tfp, RubyLK :wave:

Almost nobody complains on here that they got to big of a pool, but some complain about being too small. With that said, if this is just a starter pool, then 18' seems like a good size.

As for whether or not to put it on top of the old pool, it is hard to say. You could prepare the site where you want it and as you work, you may learn more about how settled the site is. If it does not work out, you can easily relocate this type of pool.

RubyLK said:
The one I bought is listed as having a '1600 gph Sand/Saltwater System Filter Pump Combo System'. Anyone know what this is?
That is not bad, but the pump is small if you plan to use a suction side vacuum. Also, my perference is to get the saltwater chlorine generator seperate from the pump/filter unit since they won't fail at the same time. Ideally, I would chose the 2650 gpm sand filter and a separate intex swg...but you can get by with what you have.

RubyLK said:
From what I've gathered, I think I need a sand filter, a saltwater system, AND a pump, but am I wrong?
The system that came with your pool is all three of these built into one unit. You sure don't need a saltwater chlorine generator (swg) to maintain a pool properly.

I have an 18 foot round pool. It's not an Intex, it's the more traditional metal walled pool. While it accommodates my wife, myself, my adult son and my eleven year old daughter I wish I'd gone bigger. There's really not a lot of room to do anything but just get cooled off. Lounging on floats with all of us in it can be problematic. It can be done though depending on the size of the floats. My problem was not having enough money to go bigger but if you can get a bigger Intex for the same price as the 18 footer, I think I'd do it.
I have adapted the Intex SWG to my pool this year and I like it so far. You still will probably have to do a small bit of BBB from time to time. I give my pool a shot of bleach after heavy rain or a heavy bather load. You will still need to test the water pretty regularly regardless. I believe what you are describing as far as the filter system is a combination SWG and filter all in one unit. I saw those when shopping for my SWG but I already had a filter system and pump. I agree with the others, I'd keep them separate if possible.

BTW.... I got my Intex SWG about 50 bucks cheaper by purchasing it online from Walmart and then going to the store and picking it up. I picked it up at my local store, same day, an hour or two after I ordered it. All they did was go pull one from the shelf and take it to the pickup area but it WAS cheaper! Don't know why they do that.

Thank you so much Noah and linen for the replies.

Linen, what I'm trying to figure out here is the cost of the saltwater system, filter and pump included with the Intex pool I already bought. What frustrated me greatly, was that the 24 x 52 round Ultra Frame model is now the exact same price as the 18'. But, with my lack of knowledge about these pools, and the fact that the boxes, and on the retailer websites, the model #s or full names of the pumps, filters etc. are not mentioned, its tough for me to decipher which ones are the best deal. The 24' mentions a 'Sand Filter Pump' but nothing of the Saltwater system. Ideally, I want to get the 2,650 gph saltwater system, and buy it separately if I need to, but I've had a tough time pricing that out as well because the product images vary on different sites (walmart, Amazon and others), so I can't tell whats what.

So, if I did buy the 24 or 26 ft. models, and assume that both of these are so cheap because they do come with the standard cartridge filter systems, what would I have to buy if I wanted the Sand Filter & Saltwater system setup? Does anyone know the model numbers? I am confused about whether or not I would need to separately purchase 3 additional items, or two. I am also having an outdoor plug that is near my deck replaced with a GFCI; but I don't know how many cords I will need to have plugged in. I've read somewhere on TroubleFreePool that someone was using a heavy duty GFCI extension cord that is made for outdoor use, but I didn't know if that was a safe option or is recommended. No matter what, I do not expect the 25' cords included with the filters, pumps etc. to be able to reach this outlet, so I have that to figure out as well.

Thank you so much Noah for your comments. I have been so torn about whether or not to stick with what I have, or pay a little extra for the 24 or 26' models. The 26' is the best deal I think, at $999 from Walmart, but, unlike Meijer and a few other stores I've found, they do not offer a repair plan of any kind on it. However, I've watched so many YouTube video reviews and read others' comments about this pool, and from what everyone says, they are just fine if you are careful, and take good care of them; so this is what I'm hoping for. I work at home, running a small http://www.rubywebdesign.com/ website design business, and while I love it, it means I'm glued to my computer much of the time. So, one of the top reasons I wanted a pool was certainly for the exercise, so room to swim around is important. I know laps aren't so easy in a round pool, but I do think the extra diameter of space will help. What I need to determine now is, if I buy the 26 x 52 round Intex Ultra frame from Walmart, which sand filter, pump and SWG I need to buy. I am very busy and don't have alot of free time for adding chemicals, etc., and have never owned a pool before, so, making it easy to keep the water clean is definitely key. I do agree that it would be best to have the filter, pump and saltwater system NOT combined into a single unit, that way when one of them goes bad, it can be replaced individually at a lesser expense, but I'm still unsure about exactly what I would need to buy. Is the saltwater system a filter, or not? When the label of something says 'Sand Filter' does this mean it will be a saltwater system? This part is what gets me confused, as I'm sure anyone reading can see. (Yikes!) :)

Here is one of the systems I don't understand. This is the 1600 gph model, I know I would need 2,650 gph if upgrading to the 24 or 26' pool, but I don't know if this is a filter, a pump, or BOTH. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... p/16609051

By the way, can anyone who has a round Intex Ultra Frame 24 x 52 or 26 x 52 tell me where they bought it? Online or otherwise? The 26' I've been told is made specifically and only for Walmart, making it difficult to pricecheck. The only other place I've found that one is Amazon, at almost triple the price.

The 24' is also sold at Walmart, but its been out of stock for a while, and over the past few weeks I have yet to find it anywhere else, other than used on Craigslist, which I do not want to do. lol. :)

Here are intex's pages for the pump/filter and the seperate swg:

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...gp-accessories/sand-filter-pumps/56671eg.html

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/.../agp-accessories/saltwater-system/54601e.html

The link you posted is the pump/filter alone without an integrated swg.

Here is a link to the swg at walmart:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal-Clear-Saltwater-Filtration-System/19336123 (pretty good price)

They did not have the 2650 pump/filter at walmart. Here it is on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Krystal-Clear...TF8&qid=1369798128&sr=8-4&keywords=intex+2650 (pretty good price)

Get the sand/filter combo separately from the SWG system which you can get alone for less than $200 if you shop around.
The bigger the filter the better... the pump is an issue when it comes to vacuuming. You can always upgrade the pump/filter combo later.

The small, notoriously inadequate Intex Filters are DISPOSABLE. Meaning, meant for 2 weeks of "normal" use. Should you go with the standard intex filters - their are "cleanable" replacement filters available for purchase online. I do not recommend trying to "clean" an Intex disposable filter. Either stock up and plan on going through them all summer or order a Pleatco - type cleanable replacement filter. (better yet upgrade the combo to the sand version).

Hope this helps.

Thank you again, Linen! This is exactly the information I needed; to be able to price-out what my total costs were if I switched to a larger pool, that doesn't come with the better pumps & Saltwater system. It certainly is amazing that a $249 product at IntexCorp.com is just $129 at Walmart, wow. I had to check the model #s to be sure, but indeed they are the same. This means I can get the pump, filter and saltwater systems I'll need for an investment of only about $300 more, which is doable. Before I had seen a saltwater system of some kind (can't recall which site) for an original price of $549 and a sale price of around $439, which made me feel like getting a slightly bigger pool just wasn't worth all the extra money I'd have to spend.

FrustratedPoolMom, yes, all info. helps, thank you! :) I have read about the horrible disposable filters, and that sometimes with heavy use of the pool, they can even last LESS than 1 week. Are you saying that a sand filter will still use filters of some kind that must be purchased again and again at the store? From all that I've read thus far, I didn't think that was the case.

What are everyone's thoughts on what goes beneath the pool. Tarp, then the pink panther styrofoam insulation board, then another tarp? Or is it better to use things like HappyBottom or GorillaPad or similar, which I've seen on other sites? I do think the items that are 'made to fit' the round size of the pool would stay in place better than a large square tarp, which is going to stick out the sides of the pool, and would probably also look a bit more tidy. I definitely have lots of ideas about how to set the pool up after seeing all the photos of other Intex pools on TroubleFreePools.

Another question that just came to mind as here in Michigan its currently storming like crazy. Are the pumps, filters and saltwater systems okay to be left outside, all the time, even in the rain? I'm not sure if that is what they are designed for, or if they should be housed in some type of a small nearby shed, or even a plastic 'deckbox' type receptable? Anyone have experience with how, or if, this pool holds up to hail?

Thank you all for your comments and advice!

Ruby

RubyLK said:
Are you saying that a sand filter will still use filters of some kind that must be purchased again and again at the store? From all that I've read thus far, I didn't think that was the case.
Your correct, no replacing anything with the sand filter.

RubyLK said:
Another question that just came to mind as here in Michigan its currently storming like crazy. Are the pumps, filters and saltwater systems okay to be left outside, all the time, even in the rain?
They are designed for that.

For the bottom I am preferential to extruded polystyrene foam (it is what I have on my pools bottom) with well taped seams.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used sand and a Gorilla pad under my pool but I didn't get enough sand so my pool bottom ended up a little bit rough. I wish I had used foam myself. I'm stuck with what I have until it comes time to replace the liner. An Intex pool is not quite as permanent an installation as mine but my advice would be to do it right the first time and use the foam. You folks with the Intex pools correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will also need a patio stone to go under each leg. By all means try and get yourself a sand filter. If you notice in my signature line, my pool uses a version of the cartridge filter, albeit a bit bigger than the Intex ones. I have pretty good luck just rinsing mine every couple of days but even then they do get cruddy and have to be replaced. I go through three or four cartridges a swim season and I bet an Intex would go through more. As far as the filer pump and the SWG being outside, I have mine out in the open here in Georgia but I do take the pump loose and store it inside my storage building during the winter. I plan on doing the same with my SWG as well. BTW, I use two outlets, one for the pump and one for the SWG. Hope you caught my advice about Walmart and the SWG. My local Walmart had them on the shelf priced at $199.00 I ordered it online and paid for it for local store pickup and got it for about 50 bucks less. One last piece of advice, get yourself a good test kit and get in the habit of testing your water regularly. It only takes a few minutes to do. Even with an SWG, you should test regularly. Keeping your water balanced is good for the life of the SWG cell. I have finally just about saved enough money to order a TF-100 test kit. I'm using a cheaper kit right now but the TF-100 would have saved me some grief when I was opening my pool this year.

I have the 26' and I am sooooo glad that I didn't go smaller. There isn't enough room for a legitimate lap but, it's wide enough for a mini lap and you can walk around in a circle that's large enough you won't get dizzy. With the water depth enough to provide plenty of resistance it can be a pretty good source for exercise.

If you go thru all the trouble of leveling the ground and setting up a pool, and these pools are relatively inexpensive, why not get the biggest bang for your buck. When I first set mine up I was sitting on my back porch looking at this HUGE thing taking up almost all of my yard, it kind of frightened me and I kept asking myself "what in the world have I done?. That doubt was extremely short lived. Now I cannot imagine having gone smaller. I could be wrong but, I don't think 2-6 feet in diameter (20' vs 24' or 26') is going to take a whole lot more time to care for. Testing will be the same time invested regardless of size. Vacuuming may take longer, but that makes lounging in the pool after cleaning it all the more delicious!

I have included a link to my install story for reference if you'd like to take a look. I did not go with an intex pump/filter. I wish a two speed Pump and a larger sand filter had fit within my pool budget. But, I can always upgrade later I am very glad I went with the swg (intex). I still need liquid chlorine occasionally but usually it's because I haven't monitored my water as closely as I should ( that is read as "operator error").

the-process-of-installing-our-intex-26-x52-pool-t46052.html

hi Noah, thank you so much for your insight. I did catch what you mentioned about the SWG being cheapest at Walmart thru online 'site to store' pickup. I did notice the one I need for $249 on the Intex website, and just $129 (originally priced $199, but on a rollback) on Walmart's site, so this is great. I returned my 18' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame pool to Meijer today and bought my 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame online at Walmart for about $250 more. Overall for the size, the smaller pool deal from Meijer was probably the best deal due to the fact it had free site to store shipping, and a full 2 year replacement plan for only $50 more - (and the Walmart pool was only available for shipping to my HOME, costing $129) - meaning I could take it back and get an entirely new one after 2 years if needed; but, being that the maximum amount of swimming (exercise!) space is what is most important to me, I opted for the larger option from Walmart anyway, even though they don't sell repair plans on these. Since the item description on the 26 ft. model is so vague, not specifying what type of pump or filter are included, and also not mentioning whether or not there is a saltwater system, I am going to wait until the pool arrives (arrival date between June 10 and 11, can't WAIT!) to see what equipment it comes with before I purchase anything additional.

I have also heard about Intex pools needing patio blocks, leveled and dug into the ground, under each leg, and plan to do that. I did not realize, though, Noah, that with a saltwater system water testing was still necessary. (Newbie... I know, I know.) How often do you test, and how pricey are the test kits? I know you don't have an Intex, but, have you needed to add any additional chemicals to your pool other than the sand for the filter and salt for the SWG?

I do have some leftover styrofoam insulation from a basement remodeling project, but I didn't feel like that would work well for under a pool? It seems the square shapes wouldn't work well with a round pool even when taped, but maybe I'm wrong. What type of tape should it be taped with? And, a tarp would go above this, and then the pool, correct? So... fresh compacted soil, leveled, then a tarp, then the styrofoam board stuff, then another tarp, then the pool? If I've got the order wrong here, please let me know. :)

Also Noah I was wondering, you said you use two outlets / electrical plugs for your pool. Are they both GFCI's, or do your filters or pumps have that built in? I wasn't sure if a pump that contains its OWN gfci would make having a GFCI on the outlet unnecessary. However, I've also read that many Intex filters & pumps, even those that have GFCI's, are not UL listed and its recommended you don't swim while they're on. This seems like it would be difficult... if you swim in the pool every day, what do you do, have the filter and pump run during the night only? Hmm. Noah, is your pool within 25 ft of your outlets, or do you have a hard-wired outdoor outlet somewhere in the yard near the pool? I've debated having that done... My pool is definitely going to be 50+ ft away from my house, so even if my outdoor plug near my small deck is replaced with a GFCI, I know the cords aren't going to reach without an extension cord of SOME kind. I know that this is not a good option, so I'm still trying to decipher the logistics (and cost) of doing it another way.

hi Tankerfink!

I did read your entire story (found it via Google somehow) and the awesome pictures of the pool size and step-by-step pictures showing the leveling, foam board, etc. actually is part of what influenced me to make the first purchase of the 18' Ultra Frame, which I returned today, swapping for the 26'! How has your liner held up? Any issues? I read somewhere that people with the larger ultra frames (22, 24, 26) sometimes have more problems than those who have the smaller versions of these pools, simply because the boxes are so huge and the packaging so thin, sometimes the liners are damaged during moving - at the store, on a forklift, whatever. One concern I do have is that I noticed Intex doesn't seem to sell any of the standard or most commonly needed replacement parts for the 26 x 52 on their website. The largest they sell I believe is 24 x 52, at almost $500. Hopefully this does not someday leave me at the mercy of an overpriced seller on Amazon. I've also wondered if I could purchase a 'regular' liner in the future - one made for a more permanent above ground pool with a greater thickness, to make it more durable. :)

Taterfink, do you have any photos of your pool with water and/or people in it? Still trying to get a feel for the size it will be, and of course, very excited as well!

Ruby,

My liner is doing great. I've so far had no problems at all (thank The Lord). It is important to use "extruded polystyrene insulation". Regular insulation will collapse under the weight. I didn't make that up. I called a sheet insulation manufacturer and they told me.

Unless they changed the package contents with the 26', it comes with a regular cartridge filter, no salt water generator. It has the Deluxe Pool Maintenance Kit which contains the over the wall skimmer, a vacuum head and adapter/strainer thing that fits down into the skimmer and a hose for vacuuming. It also comes with a cover and a tarp. The pump will need to be upgraded and what ever kind of filter you want, sand vs cartridge vs DE. I got the SandPro 75 pump/filter combo, it is a 3/4 hp 1 speed pump. I like it okay but I do wish that my budget had allowed for a better two speed pump and larger filter. The larger the filter the better and for sand it means fewer back washes as it has the capacity for filtering more trash before your pump pressure increases.

Somewhere on TFP is a thread with pictures showing how one member used a regular ABP liner and put it inside his intex pool, laid it over the rails and down the outside and how he anchored it. The last I read, it had worked out pretty well for him. Something to think about.

This is the only picture I have right now. Don't tell my sister I posted it, she'll kill me. :lol:
That's a frozen daiquiri in a bag that she's holding. They are good!
I'm standing at the top of the steps, outside the pool.

It turned out a little blurry when I sized it down. It started out huge. Compress it too much and it loses crispness.

I'll be posting more pics on my build thread soon. My fence has been replaced with new and I just had a deck built and they finish it today. YAY! :party:

I hope you enjoy your pool as much as I do mine. I find tending to it to be relaxing. Of course some of the more experienced pool owners on here may laugh at me and say "listen to the Noob! ain't she sweet?! Awww look at her. . .
She'll learn. . . " :lol:

Oh, the box is huge. But there is an outer box and then the components are boxed up inside of the big box. If memory serves.

Attachments

• Linda pool 2.jpg
    Linda pool 2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 449
WOW, the pool does look huge, thank you so much for posting! Its so tough to get a true idea of how large 26' will be, when all the manufacturer images of it either show the pool empty, or, FULL of people, and you aren't sure if the picture they're posting is of the 26' or some other size or what. Thanks for the info about the insulation as well! :)

Not sure I can answer all the questions but I'll try. My outlets are about six or eight feet from my pool. I put them as close as the electrical code would let me. I forget how close without going out and measuring. I'm pretty experienced and handy with electronics and electricity so I did the installation of the electrical myself. The outlet I use is a regular outlet but it is wired to a dedicated GFCI breaker in my breaker box. There is nothing else on this breaker except for the outlets for the pool pump and the SWG. This is all done per the electrical code in my area for "permanent" above ground pools. If I'm not mistaken the Intex pools are not considered "permanent" so they are not governed by the same rules my pool is. I believe the rules are much more relaxed for them. Again, if I'm giving bad information, someone who actually owns an Intex, please correct me. The Intex SWG also has some sort of GFCI device built in. It is integrated into the cord and the cord itself is considerably long. I'm not sure how long because I never unbundled mine since my outlet is so close. My pump cord is short, only a few feet long. You cannot run a pump like mine on too long an extension cord. The pump will overheat and shut down. I really should have known this but found out the hard way when I first had installed my pool and didn't have the electrical completely finished. I tired to temporarily run it on an extension cord and it would shut down on me after a short time of operation.
As far as the foam, you want either the pink or blue stuff, not the white " beadboard" that is more like regular styrofoam packing. You would tape it together and then cut it in a circle the diameter of your pool. It looks like to me the link Taterfink gave shows all this in detail.
The TF-100 test kit is what's recommended by everyone here. I do not have one yet as they are a bit pricey (70 bucks or so) and my budget is tight so I've been having to save up to get one. Right now I'm using a kit I got at Ace hardware and I also have a kit a friend gave me but the test reagents are older and I wasn't completely sure I could trust them. You might can get by with a cheaper kit than the TF-100 but if it's one thing I've learned on this site, in the end having a really good kit like the TF-100 is the best overall option. I came here this year because my pool had been uncovered all winter and was a green slimy mess. None of the stuff I used to do to clear it was working anymore so I sought out help and new advice. I did eventually get my pool clear with a partial water change and a good deal of bleach but it was harder to do without the good kit. I had to guess a lot. This was before I got the SWG but even with an SWG, if your pool becomes a green slimy mess, it's going to take more than just the SWG to bring it back. The reason for testing, even with an SWG, is that you want to make sure that the SWG is producing and maintaining a good level of chlorine in the water. You also want to keep tabs on other factors like your PH and Total Alkalinity. Keeping the water properly balanced prolongs the life of the salt cell and makes it easier for it to do it's job. I suggest you read through pool school and also the instructions here for maintaining a pool with an SWG. Not trying to scare you but you just can't totally blow off testing your water just because you have an SWG. They do make life a lot easier but it doesn't make the pool totally self sufficient and maintenance free either. I still keep a bottle of bleach, some borax and some baking soda on hand. If it rains a lot or I have a lot of swimmers in a given period, I'll give the pool a shot of bleach just to be safe. The borax and baking soda are for maintaining PH and TA although once I got my water balanced and had the SWG running, I haven't had to do much with them. There are actually a lot better people here than myself to talk pool chemistry with and I hope they will chime in! I test every other day or so but I think some folks here do it daily. It really is not a big deal and once you get in the habit, it goes quickly. I actually think it's kind of fun and enjoy it. I like being an "ool" owner..... No P in it.....I tell my kids, let's keep it that way! :-D :p :cool:

It's interesting how electrical / building codes vary from place to place. My intex is considered a temporary pool but since my inspector had never seen one before, he held me to more stringent standards. The pool is 52" with a capacity to hold 48" of water (because of the holes where the legs and top rails go thru). Since capacity was over a certain number of inches, I had to have the pump hardwired into an outlet. That outlet is GFCI and is about 5' from my pool. The outlet is also not a dedicated line, it is extended from an outlet on my screened in back porch. I had a 4' chainlink fence and master locks and chain on the gates. I had wooden stairs built then I had to add more pickets on the sides to reduce the space between from 4" to 1.5" so a 3 year old could not get a toe hold and climb the outside of the steps. I also had to build a gate and put a safety latch a certain height above grade. Oddly enough a year later, they still had never seen a pool like mine. I told him that they are flying off the shelves at Walmart so apparently I am the only one in my area either smart enough or dumb enough to apply for a permit.

The cord on the intex SWG is about 20' long. We had to cut the end off in order to hardwire it. Also, as Noah says, I only have to add bleach when I drop the ball and have an algae problem or a heavy bather load. Usually tho, the SWG will maintain your level for you. You do need to get your salt into the pool and get it to the correct level for the SWG to work well. The manual says 3000ppm and TFP recommends about 200 ppm over the manual recommendations.

Noah is right, the TF-100 is the way to go. It is pricey up front, but you won't go wrong by getting it. It pays for itself by keeping you aware of your numbers which gives you the ability to handle your chemicals without the pool store breaking the bank.

Take lots of pictures and post them! We'd love to see the progression!

Most counties and municipalities just copy a page of National Electrical code for pools and adopt it as their own. The problem is that you're pretty much a slave to how each individual building/electrical inspector interprets the code. Five different guys will interpret it five different ways. I live way out in the sticks and would not have even gotten a permit for my pool if not for the fact that I have a nasty neighbor that I don't get along with. I felt sure if I didn't go pay for the permit and post it prominently that he would have turned me in. The very first thing I did before even starting to put my pool together was to erect four eight foot long by six foot tall privacy fence panels between the pool site and our property line. I plan on adding more as time and money allow. It's an absolute shame when you can't do whatever the heck you want on your own property without your neighbors sticking their nose in but I guess that's a discussion for another day.

If I were you, I think I would go ahead and have a set of outlets run out nearby my pool site. Maybe even have a four outlet box put in where you can plug in things like a radio if you want. I know it's another expense for those who can't do it themselves but I think it's the best way to go in the long run. Depending on the additional cost, I might just have the electrician run me some wiring for some outdoor lights while he's at it. I had an extra space in my house panel that I put my pool pump breaker in but I want lights eventually. I will have to have an electrician install a sub panel for those. I could do that myself but I think my county inspector would balk unless it's done by a licensed electrician.

20 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame - salt water generator - 2 sand filters - deck added - New steps -- loving it! :party: Now, if the rain :rant: would stay away a few days, :swim: I can get the last of the trash vacuumed off the bottom of the pool and grab some sunshine therapy :sunny: . Floating cooler :swim: ; float :sunny: ; a good book :study: & Pandora on the Iphone (heck yeah!) :wave:

Attachments

• 576835_10150945585870275_1280121799_n.jpg
    576835_10150945585870275_1280121799_n.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 346

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.