Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To add calcium or not to?

1. Back To Top    #1

To add calcium or not to?

My calcium is currently really low at 150. I suspect its there because 1) the plaster was redone in 2011 2) the pool was topped off with softened water.

I just recently connected to city water, (i still have my well, but no longer have the water softener hooked up). The well water is hard and the city water is also hard (so i think they're both high in calcium).

The question is, do i continue with really low calcium levels and wait to see if the city & well water raise the levels as I top off? Or is it low enough that i should add calcium now to protect the surface?

really happy to have found this forum
    pool owner since 2012
    13-15k gallons, kidney shaped,in-ground plaster
    1970s construction, currently undergoing complete renovation
    3 jets, 1 skimmer, 1 dedicated vacuum line, kreepy krauly great white, main drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To add calcium or not to?

Welcome to tfp, tmnt25

Quote Originally Posted by tmnt25
    The question is, do i continue with really low calcium levels and wait to see if the city & well water raise the levels as I top off? Or is it low enough that i should add calcium now to protect the surface?
    We need a full set of test results including pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, Borates (if any purposefully put in), Salt (if any purposefully put in) in order for us to really know. The recommended levels are 250-350 ppm, but in your high CH makeup water case, that range may not apply directly. Do you know your fill (makeup) water CH level?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I suggest you test the city water for calcium now.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, tmnt25

Quote Originally Posted by tmnt25
    We need a full set of test results including pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, Borates (if any purposefully put in), Salt (if any purposefully put in) in order for us to really know. The recommended levels are 250-350 ppm, but in your high CH makeup water case, that range may not apply directly. Do you know your fill (makeup) water CH level?
    based on pinch a penny:
    FC 5
    pH 7.6
    TA 100
    CYA 60

Don't know about borates, salt. i currently have a pool service, but am not confident they are doing a great job. He only tests with strips and given what i've learned in pool school, this is not sufficient. Also, some metal stains he's ignored has caused me to go on a learning spree.

will pinch a penny test my water source?

looking into buying the k2006 or the tf100

I'm in miami, fl.
    pool owner since 2012
    3 jets, 1 skimmer, 1 dedicated vacuum line, kreepy krauly great white, main drain

5. Back To Top    #5

Pinch a penny will test whatever you bring in ina bottle. They don't know if it's from your pool, your neighbor's pool, or the tap. But they need to test CH for you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

looking into buying the k2006 or the tf100
    The TF100 is the fav around here. More bang for the buck, great customer service, same taylor chems, and hands-on help from the owner
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

7. Back To Top    #7

Honestly, getting a test kit like the TF-100 or K2006 is the best investment you can ever make in your pool. Even more than any equipment upgrades.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Vette
    Honestly, getting a test kit like the TF-100 or K2006 is the best investment you can ever make in your pool. Even more than any equipment upgrades.

ordered the tf-100 2 minutes ago

you all are great salesmen....

I do have an over the counter test kit that gave me similar results on FC, PH and TA that pinch a penny gave me.
    pool owner since 2012

9. Back To Top    #9

Just got my TF text kit and got the following results.... Really different than pinch a penny

FC 11
    Cc .5
    Ph 8
    TA 80-90
    CH 140
    Cya 30

The cya test is real difficult, am I not supposed to see the dot at all?
    pool owner since 2012

10. Back To Top    #10

No sign of the dot.

Check out the extended testing instructions sticky in the testing forum.

Looks like you should lower the pH and raise the CH a bit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL