Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool still cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool still cloudy

It's been a week now since I first shocked my very green swamp pool. I have since cleaned out all the leaves and bugs that were in it, but it is still very very cloudy white.
    I have added algae guard a couple days ago, and am currently shocking the pool for the second straight day. I have a sand filter, that has been running non stop since i first shocked it, but the water is still completely cloudy.
    what can i do?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool still cloudy

I am unclear if you are accurately following the Shock PROCESS ... or just throwing in something the pool store sold you that will "shock" the pool.

Post up a full set of test results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It would help if you added your location in your profile and pool and equipment info in your sig.

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

4. Back To Top    #4

it's a 12x24x4' vinyl above ground pool. the filter is 1.5hp pump with 22inch sand filter. I do believe the first week I didn't keep a good constant shock level but added several bags of dichlor, so my cya is probably around 40-45 according to the calculator. I have now however switched to bleach only.

The only test kit I have is OTO right now
    FC is showing orange, so I know it's probably above 15ppm
    ph around 7.5
    alkalinity around 400 (hard well water)
    calcium hardness 330

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, with a CYA of 40-45, you need to maintain the FC around 16ppm ... that is just not possible without the FAS-DPD test. Also you need that test in order to check 2 of the 3 criteria listed in Pool School to know when you are done with the shock process.

You can try a little DE in the filter (see Pool School) to see if that helps clear the water.

Also the pH test is not valid when FC > 10ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

6. Back To Top    #6

+ 1 on what jblizzle just said. A good test kit like the TF100 is key to maintaining your pool and doing the shock process.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

well i can't get one at this moment, so should i just try and maintain shock until the water is completely clear?

8. Back To Top    #8

It will be hard to maintain shock level without knowing what your FC level is. The kit will save time and money.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.