Debris block/shield

Jun 17, 2012
Hello all. I have a small problem, the debris is constantly getting blown into the pool by the breeze, and no matter how often I sweep my backyard, small stuff always seems to end up in the pool. I would imagine that this is a pretty common problem. Its not so much the leaves but everything else. I was wondering if someone would know of a product, something made out soft type rubber-like material that I could install around the perimeter of the pool to prevent the debris from blowing into the pool. I have some spacing in between my pavers, so I could probably use that as anchors. Something like the black inserts that people use in their yards to prevent soil from getting in or out. Something to that effect. Of course it would need to be soft so that if someone steps on it would not cause discomfort.

Thanks in advance.

leon718 said:
Hello all. I have a small problem, the debris is constantly getting blown into the pool by the breeze, and no matter how often I sweep my backyard, small stuff always seems to end up in the pool. I would imagine that this is a pretty common problem. Its not so much the leaves but everything else. I was wondering if someone would know of a product, something made out soft type rubber-like material that I could install around the perimeter of the pool to prevent the debris from blowing into the pool. I have some spacing in between my pavers, so I could probably use that as anchors. Something like the black inserts that people use in their yards to prevent soil from getting in or out. Something to that effect. Of course it would need to be soft so that if someone steps on it would not cause discomfort.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Leon718! Could you fill out your signature (pool-school/read_before_you_post) knowing what equipment you have might help us brainstorm.

I understand what you are suggesting. I have several questions about it....

Would it even work? Would the debris just blow into the barrier and then blow up right over it?

How much debris is getting into the pool at ground level, versus a few inches higher or more? How windy is it, etc?

What type of vacuum device do you have, how often do you run it?

How many skimmers do you have, are they working well for you or not?

How do you have your returns (eyeballs) pointed in the pool, is the pool's surface moving around in a circle?

I would definitely try to figure out a way to experiments prior to buying a bunch of that stuff. We'd need to figure out exactly how you will attach it as well.

My gut feeling is that it won't work well enough, and that possibly you are worrying to much about small debris in the pool, unless you just want it perfectly clear, then it would seem you need to vacuum more.

I'm with Harleysilo. Mess around with the returns a little and see if you can't improve the surface flow to drive stuff towards the skimmer. When I'm done vacuuming and reassembling everything, I can see stuff two feet out slowly moving towards the skimmer.

If you've really got a coating of stuff on the surface, it should be easy to watch the pattern as you re-aim the eyeballs. Or you can float ping pong balls or even empty plastic soda bottles and maneuver them via surface currents to drive everything to the skimmer. It's just trial and error.

And don't be a victim of sparklypoolitis. One of the problems with super clear water is that you can see even a single grain of sand clearly against the pool floor!

More than likely its a flow issue, but. I have seen some pretty neat edging ideas used for safety with kids and hard edges to split them open. One of the most ingenious ones I've seen is the use of dock edging around areas of pools where falls and jumping are common. There are all different types of profiles that can be used, and in your case may help keep some items out of your pool. The added benefit it possibly preventing a skin splitting wound in the event of a slip or fall. My 2 brothers and I grew up in this house and never got hurt around the pool, but now that I own it and my 7 and 9 year old boys are out there they are pushing the safety limits, thinking about doing some of it around my pool this summer. Here's a link to one of the many suppliers.

http://www.boatdockaccessoriesonline.co ... d-trim.htm

Their are lots of companies and numerous profiles you can mount in either direction. Your going to be looking for the flexible vinyl or PVC ones.....good luck

Patton

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.