Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool / First time opening

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool / First time opening

HiHo
    I started another thread of when I built my pool but figured I start a new thread on getting my pool balanced properly.

wohoo-new-pool-construction-t53022.html

I had scheduled with my pool installer to open the pool May 24th as it was part of they're service but I figured I'd removed the cover the week before to see how it was as we were hosting a party the next day the 25th and wanted the pool looking good. Not a pool party but still wanted it looking good as we would still be showing it off. Cool part when I lifted the corner of the cover was a poof of steam came out and hit me in the face! Hot sh*t.
    As I suspected it was semi clear but filled with lots sediment on the bottom which I figured came from all the new pavers we had installed. So I enlisted the help of my 2 sons and we vacuum it all out to waste doing the best we could as it was our first time. While semi opened I brought a water sample to Leslies to get tested as for the life of me I couldn't' find my brand new test kit I bought last year from TFTestkits. So I had to order another new test kit , know I'll find the other one day...lol
    Test results were ok but don't remember the numbers but one for sure stuck out as Phosphates which were threw the roof at over 1000ppm. They gave me some Phos remover which he said is ok to put in even without the pool circulating which I did. So after it was all vacuumed out we put the cover back on as the **** from the trees was still coming down hard. Then as schedule the pool installer came and opened the pool and added 600lbs of salt, shocked the **** out of it, added an algaecide and added DE to the filter and got it all up and running. I had gotten it all hooked up to vac so I made it easy for him to do. Next day they were scheduled to come back and get the pool all nice and vacuumed out as we didn't do the best job. Everything looked great and the pool was and clear. Too bad as it rained all day long so the party stayed indoors and no one could get to enjoy it.
    So the next day I figured I'd get the pool tested and the number are as follows:
    FAC: .5
    Salt: 2600
    CH: 70
    CYA: 0
    TA: 50
    pH: 7.4
    Phosphates: 500

They told me to add 2 gals of liquid shock which the guy sold me the last time. I added it and my FC numbers are still the same when I tested it the next day.

Question is and what I'm not sure of when getting it all balanced is where do I start in getting what balanced first? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    New 2012 - 18x34 IGP /Pacific Pool vinyl w/Graphex Walls / 4' Shallow End/ 23k gal, Pool Pilot Digital RC-35 SWG, Hayward DE, Hayward 2-Speed Pump, AquaCal Heat Pump, Pentair IntelliBrite LED LIghts (2)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool / First time opening

The first thing to do is erase that phosphate number from your memory. It's not important and you never need to do anything about it.

Second is to get enough bleach in there to get the FC up to about 3 ppm. And add enough each day to keep it there.
    Then wait till you get the new test kit (or find the old one) and run all the tests yourself. I wouldn't believe anything except maybe the pH and I'd be skeptical of that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd get some CYA in there, up to 30. And start the shock process. You lost what you put in due to sunlight and/or organics.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the new test kit and all the numbers match.

According to the Poolcalculator I would need to add 239oz of liquid stabilizer in there to get it up to 30 as I hear the powder to put in a sock and put it in the skimmer but that can take a week. I'll stop by the Leslies and pick this up. I also have another 2 gals of Chlorine I can add.
    New 2012 - 18x34 IGP /Pacific Pool vinyl w/Graphex Walls / 4' Shallow End/ 23k gal, Pool Pilot Digital RC-35 SWG, Hayward DE, Hayward 2-Speed Pump, AquaCal Heat Pump, Pentair IntelliBrite LED LIghts (2)

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm guessing once I get the FC and CYA levels up I can then start my salt system?

6. Back To Top    #6

That's correct. Once you get the salt in the water, run the pump 24 hours before you turn the swg on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Salts already in the pool but test results only show 2310ppm so I have to add another 133lbs. I was thinking I should turn it on once I get the CYA and FC levels up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    That's correct. Once you get the salt in the water, run the pump 24 hours before you turn the swg on.

8. Back To Top    #8

The salt needs a day to fully mix before you turn the swg on. Running it while adding salt, risks damaging the swg.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Here's some new numbers in my quest to get things right. Started off by adding 4 gals stabilizer. Tested again CYA results were 40ppm. Added another 2 gals as per the Pool Calculator. Next day added 2 gals liquid chlorine as there was no reading for it. Here's the results with my Taylor test kit.
    FAC: 4.8 / Leslies tested it but they said it was too high to get a good reading.
    TAC: .4
    Salt:This is where it gets interesting. I tested it with my AquaChek test strips = 2710. Leslies electronic tester = 3300, Leslies test strip but not the store brand, forget which but had to wait about 5 minutes for results = 3740
    CH: 100
    CYA: 60
    TA: 120
    pH: 8.0
    Phosphates: 500

The DE filter readings were on the high side @28psi so I decided to back flush it. I then added 5 scoops of DE and it's still showing on the high side at about 25psi. I'm guess I have to back flush it again and remove the inner screens and give them a good cleaning????????

10. Back To Top    #10

Bumping this up as I can't for some reason get my FC levels good. Had a huge rain storm the other day where I had to drain a good 4" during the storm and then another 3" the next day. Tested my water and here are the results using a Talor K-2006. I also have a TF-100 kit which I boughtg last year and finally found.
    FAC: .5 if that
    Salt: 3200
    CH: 300
    CYA: 55
    TA: 80
    pH: 7.5

Added a 60oz or Chlorine as per poolcal and got nadda results. Pool SWG right now is set to BOOST to try and get numbers up.

I want to swim in my new pool. Please HELP!

11. Back To Top    #11

What is your CC number?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

Tested again as I had added 3 gal

TC = 3.8
    CC = .2

Can I swim? Can I, Can I?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by oohnoo
    Tested again as I had added 3 gal

TC = 3.8
    CC = .2

Can I swim? Can I, Can I?
    If it's clear and warm enough, sure.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

It's crystal clear, always has been. So what's the story with the FC going down. Could it be cause of all the rain we had?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by oohnoo
    It's crystal clear, always has been. So what's the story with the FC going down. Could it be cause of all the rain we had?
    Yep. And stuff getting washed in by the rain. And even on cloudy days, you get UV from the sun.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Went for my first swim tonight around 6pm.....LOVING IT. Outside temp was in the mid 70's but pool temp was a nice 84°. Wife stuck her feet in it by the pool jets which were warmer cause of the heater and said THIS is the temp I want the pool....lol. For me it was perfect but we'll see, got to make her happy.