Hot tub overheating

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
This winter we have had issues with our hot tub not maintaining the set temperature.
When I looked at this morning the temp was 109 F so I have shut off the tub for now.

I have a 2.6 HP Waterway insulated wet end pump. SD U704203226 SD 2.6 2N22CE
V series Balboa model #VS501Z

It looks like it would be fairly straight forward to replace a temperature sensor or whatever in this, I am just not sure what exactly needs
to be replaced.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

I had the thermocouple break on mine and ordered just a new thermocouple. I needed to open up the pump pack (turned breaker off, turned everything off !!) and was just a matter of carefully routing the copper tube without kinking to the return housing in the foot well and connecting it the same way inside the pump pack.
It isn't as hard as it might sound. You just need to take your time.

I can't remember where I bought it I did a few late night "info" sessions surfing the web. Doesn't help I have a tub from the stone age so no wiring diagrams until I opened the unit and found one on the inside cover of the pump pack.

If your tub heats up to an unacceptable level and shuts off the high limit is good and you just need the "thermostat". You need to do some research as I'm just relating what I was able to do to fix mine.

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Thermostat ... -C257.aspx

http://www.poolandspa.com/catalog/category000383.cfm

You should also find out what year, make, model, and what model spa pack you have. You'll likely need some or all of that info to track down the right part. Also make sure you get one that is long enough. I was a little tight on mine as I hadn't measured the one I had against the one I ordered BEFORE I ordered it ...
If yours is a newer model the manufacturers web site might list the wiring or possibly even the part number or their customer service might be able to help you a little with diag and replacement parts. My manufacturer couldn't do much more than admit they made it. They didn't have any info available on it, not even gallons ??? :roll: I know it's old, but come on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.