I am about to convert my pool from Baquacil to Chlorine

May 28, 2013
East Windsor, NJ
Hello,

Thanks for such a great website. I am a beginner and am about to convert my pool from Baquacil to Chlorine using directions from the Pool School. I have a couple of questions regarding chemicals. Would I be able to maintain my pool using liquid chlorine/bleach, Borax, and CYA? Should I purchase Muriatic Acid instead? I am going to try to avoid the pool store and purchase chemicals from home improvement stores etc. Is this possible? Thanks so much!

Welcome to TFP.

Every chemical has a different function, and whether you use them or not depends on your test results. Borax raises pH, while muriatic acid lowers it. Some pools tend to have low pH and some tend to have high pH, so your chemical needs will vary depending on the chemistry of your water. Our philosophy centers around knowing the chemistry of your water and understanding the effects of chemicals you add I can seem a little complicated at first, but with a little knowledge it's actually much simpler than conventional pool care.

Muriatic is the cheapest method of lowering the pH.

Do not try to stock up chemicals. Just buy what you need. Eventually you will get a feel for what your pool typically needs and can then stock up some.

Yes. MA lowers pH. It's important to know the strength,which will be on the label, and can usually be found in the paint section of big box home improvement or hardware stores.

Since you don't know what your pool needs yet, don't buy anything yet. What you can do is start pricing bleach/liquid chlorine, baking soda, stabilizer, muriatic acid, and borax. It will give you a good idea of prices, so that when the time comes you can pull the trigger on what you need knowing you're not getting ripped off.

rkhodges21 said:
I had a kitchen sink clog so I bought 2 bottles of that hot power or liquid fire or whatever it is called, but I only used one. I believe it is basically muriatic acid, so could it be used in the pool to lower pH?
It depends what the chemical actually is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.