Rebuilding SWG cells

eric99gt

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Strannik said:
well...
it's not worth it

majority of the cost is in the plates as the coating has precious metals in it (ruthenium oxide or iridium oxide)

non-self cleaning cells can be reconditioned, as half of the plates are just bare titanium, so you can just replace the anode.
however with self cleaning ones you have to replace all the plates which only leaves the cap and connectors that can be salvaged.

also not all cells last 3 years and not all of them are expensive

So I haven't been able to find any discussion, beyond the few comments here, in regards to rebuilding these cells. While perusing ebay for a replacement t-15 cell I stumbled across salt solutions inc. They claim to be able to rebuild the unit for $275, around half of what a new one would cost. They also include a one year warranty. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with going this route before I decide to pull the trigger. See here for further info https://www.saltsolutionsinc.com/repair ... -15-detail

Re: Cell life?

That is interesting, although I wish they provided more information on how they are repairing the cells.

{Also the grammar in the first sentence annoys me :mrgreen: }

Response from the seller "The only thing we re-use is the P.V.C. outer housing and the plug in cord. All internal parts are brand new from the mfg. and fully warranted for one year ( an extended warranty is available). We buy better plates which are rated for 10,000 hours of usage while most out there are only rated for 8,000 hours…….the plug to the controller stays with the cell." I think I may give this a shot.

received and installed and all seems to be working fine. Getting proper voltage readings again. You can observe on the housing where it's been cut open to remove the guts. The real test will probably be time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I started a thread today about my failing cell and asked about the rebuilt cells as an alternative to new. 2 years in Tuscon is a pretty good testimonial. Any one else willing to endorse these rebuilt cells from Salt Solutions?

Reactions: Jschway
Figured I would report a failure. Lasted a bit over 2 yrs. A bit disappointing as I have a small pool and typically only run it at about 10%. I would say the service life was significantly reduced over what is expected.

Salt level was not reading correctly. It was reading way lower than the actual salt level so I kept needing to add more salt to get it to limp along. But I did find it odd that the amps and volts stayed the same after replacement as I thought the salt level was calculated off of these readings. For my unit it was still reading nearly the same before and after replacement (25V 8.25Amps or so).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.