Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How soon for FC level to drop after shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

How soon for FC level to drop after shock?

On Sunday morning, I saw something in my skimmer basket that scared me, looked like someone dumped a large jar of Guldens mustard in. I immediately thought it was mustard algae and shocked for it to FC 30. My test results before shocking were:
    FC 6, CC .5, pH 7.8, TA 100, CH 400, CYA 50. After shocking, I did a little research here and realized that the stuff that looked like mustard was probably pollen since we had a 2 day rain and wind storm the prior 2 days and the pollen had collected in the skimmer with the leaves.

I shocked to FC 30 at about 10:30am Sunday. At 9pm I tested again, FC 17, CC 0. At 5:30am Monday, FC 16, CC 0 so the OCLT was good.

I tested again at noon Monday - FC 16, CC 0, pH 7.6, TA 110, CH 400, CYA 50.
    I tested again this morning at 7:30am - FC13, CC .5, pH 7.5, TA 100, CH 400, CYA 50.

Yesterday (Monday) was a sunny day and my pool is in the sun from 8am - 4pm. I expected the FC level to reduce more than it did. How quickly does or should the FC level come down to "normal"? I don't want to turn on my SWG until the FC level comes down some more. And, I'm a little worried about letting my kids swim with that level of chlorine in the water.

2nd question: There is a smell or faint odor to the water, particularly around the skimmers, that smells like latex paint or auto anti-freeze. I noticed it after opening the pool a few weeks back and it doesn't seem to go away. This is the other reason I shocked the pool. I used pool anti-freeze when closing the pool last fall and pool anti-freeze smells nothing like auto anti-freeze to me. Any ideas what could be causing this odor? No one else has noticed the odor but I do so it bothers me.
    Pool: 25k gal, IG Vinyl, built 2008, DE, Hayward Progrid 4820 - 96 GPM 48 sq ft filter area, 1.5hp Hayward Super Pump, 3/4hp Hayward booster pump 6060, Aquarite SWG T-Cell-90 Rev 1.40, Hayward Phantom, Hayward H350 heater.
    Hot Tub: 2008 Sundance Cameo, 450 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How soon for FC level to drop after shock?

1. It is safe to swim in your pool at ANY value below shock level.

2. Can't help with the odor.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would echo Dave on the safe to swim anywhere below shock level, but I would add clear water as an additional safety measure.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for responses. Water is clear.
    Pool: 25k gal, IG Vinyl, built 2008, DE, Hayward Progrid 4820 - 96 GPM 48 sq ft filter area, 1.5hp Hayward Super Pump, 3/4hp Hayward booster pump 6060, Aquarite SWG T-Cell-90 Rev 1.40, Hayward Phantom, Hayward H350 heater.
    Hot Tub: 2008 Sundance Cameo, 450 gal