On Sunday morning, I saw something in my skimmer basket that scared me, looked like someone dumped a large jar of Guldens mustard in. I immediately thought it was mustard algae and shocked for it to FC 30. My test results before shocking were:
FC 6, CC .5, pH 7.8, TA 100, CH 400, CYA 50. After shocking, I did a little research here and realized that the stuff that looked like mustard was probably pollen since we had a 2 day rain and wind storm the prior 2 days and the pollen had collected in the skimmer with the leaves.
I shocked to FC 30 at about 10:30am Sunday. At 9pm I tested again, FC 17, CC 0. At 5:30am Monday, FC 16, CC 0 so the OCLT was good.
I tested again at noon Monday - FC 16, CC 0, pH 7.6, TA 110, CH 400, CYA 50.
I tested again this morning at 7:30am - FC13, CC .5, pH 7.5, TA 100, CH 400, CYA 50.
Yesterday (Monday) was a sunny day and my pool is in the sun from 8am - 4pm. I expected the FC level to reduce more than it did. How quickly does or should the FC level come down to "normal"? I don't want to turn on my SWG until the FC level comes down some more. And, I'm a little worried about letting my kids swim with that level of chlorine in the water.
2nd question: There is a smell or faint odor to the water, particularly around the skimmers, that smells like latex paint or auto anti-freeze. I noticed it after opening the pool a few weeks back and it doesn't seem to go away. This is the other reason I shocked the pool. I used pool anti-freeze when closing the pool last fall and pool anti-freeze smells nothing like auto anti-freeze to me. Any ideas what could be causing this odor? No one else has noticed the odor but I do so it bothers me.