Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I use a pool sucker pipette?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I use a pool sucker pipette?

I saw a guy at a commercial pool use a big turkey baster-like water sucker (ball on one end of tube) to get his water sample.

This would be a nice way to avoid getting my arm wet when testing.

Do people here use or recommend using one of these?

Ideally, it would be well graduated (100ml?).

Thanks,

Joseph

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I use a pool sucker pipette?

I use a 4 ft length of 1/2" PVC pipe...
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

That's perfect. I have CPVC around and that would make a zero cost, immediately solution.

Thank you!

4. Back To Top    #4

I use a turkey baster and fill a cup with water. That way I can go sit on the patio with my TF100 on the table and do all my tests with the same sample. The baster also makes it easy to draw water back out of the cup and squeeze the right amount into the vials. I have enough water left to rinse my vials and powder spoon.
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by erivette
    I use a turkey baster and fill a cup with water. That way I can go sit on the patio with my TF100 on the table and do all my tests with the same sample. The baster also makes it easy to draw water back out of the cup and squeeze the right amount into the vials. I have enough water left to rinse my vials and powder spoon.
    That's a great system -- much better than multiple dips into the pool for samples.

Just any old glass cup?

Just any old turkey baster?

Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by josephny
    That's a great system -- much better than multiple dips into the pool for samples.

Just any old glass cup?

Thanks!
    Not glass. Plastic only around the pool!

I use a piece of PVC and a plastic two cup measuring cup with a pour spout that I bought at the pool store. Same thing - seated comfortably at the patio table. Just don't mistake the measuring cup for the coffee mug.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by josephny

Just any old glass cup?

Thanks!
    Not glass. Plastic only around the pool!

I use a piece of PVC and a plastic two cup measuring cup with a pour spout that I bought at the pool store. Same thing - seated comfortably at the patio table. Just don't mistake the measuring cup for the coffee mug.
    Got it -- of course, no glass makes sense.

I tried the CPVC and it works great. Now I'll add a hard plastic cup and I'll be all set.

Thanks everyone.

8. Back To Top    #8

The problem with a turkey baster is that you can't very far underwater and still stay dry (at least the basters I have seen). Generally you want to be a ways underwater to grab you test sample (18 inches is good). The pipe method mentioned above is much better imo since it allows for a deeper sample.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Mine seems pretty standard although it's stainless steel not plastic. And it's 12" long not counting the squeeze bulb. FWIW My tests, whether I stay out of water or put my hand in up to my wrist (the extra 6"), are consistent. No idea if the results would be different if I drew the sample from deeper than 2'. I'll try next time just for kicks.
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

Pipette, great idea .

I tried drawing my 1st sample using a 3/4" PVC pipe. I installed a PVC valve on my pipe instead of using my hand to cover the top of the pipe.

It worked ok but it doesn't hold the water very well when I remove the pipe from the pool water before I'm able to release the water into my sample container.

I think I read in another thread here were someone mentioned that a 1" PVC pipe doesn't work well as the inside diameter of the PVC pipe is too large allowing some or most of the water to drain from the pipe while lifting it out of the pool.

Is that the problem with using a 3/4" PVC pipe? Would a 1/2" pipe hold the water longer?
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day

11. Back To Top    #11

Put a reducer on the end or a cap with a 1/4" hole drilled in it.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

I use whatever size PVC it is that lets my entire thumb pad to cover the end tightly while lifting the water out. I think it might be 1/2" but not positive (and too lazy to go measure, lol)
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

I use a Play Day saber pump squirter I found in the pool toys at Walmart. It's about 18 inches long and works like a big syringe. Gets the sample from the right depth, just happens to fill a Leslie's sample bottle perfectly, and the 98 cents price tag is cheap enough I don't worry about it getting broken or lost.

It can even be used as a pool toy !
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Thimble View Post
    I use a Play Day saber pump squirter I found in the pool toys at Walmart. It's about 18 inches long and works like a big syringe. Gets the sample from the right depth, just happens to fill a Leslie's sample bottle perfectly, and the 98 cents price tag is cheap enough I don't worry about it getting broken or lost.

It can even be used as a pool toy !
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for the ideas.

I settled on the 4 ft length 1/2" PVC pipe with a PVC Valve at the top. The leakage, when drawn out of the pool before I open the valve into my sample cup, is slower than with the 3/4" PVC pipe.
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day