I inherit this pool below from previous owner in hayward, CA (94545) but for years we haven't used it that much maybe 5 times a year due to water always under 75 degree. took my 4 yr old to Hawaii recently and he loved it so much that now he wants to swim in our pool every weekend. Unfortunately last week it was pretty chilly he ended up with a 101-104 fever that went on for 4 days. not sure if it was the chill or my polaris 380 broke causing dirty water (ordered a new Aquabot Breeze 4WD for $568, should arrive in a week. now what to do with the booster pump?)
I'm hoping to get some advice from our experts to build a solar heater. My equipment specs are below. The roof is very old (1966) and i was advised not to step on it by a contractor friend. I planned to replace the roof in ~5 years. i recently built a patio as drawn in the google map picture (brown lines), so i was thinking to put some panels on top of the patio (wood top frame with plastic sheets nailed to it) and the toddler play room (white flat metal roof in pic).
1. Polaris 380
2. Polaris BP4 Booster Pump ¾ HP 60Hz
2. Aqua Flow 10 - Magnetek B653 1HP Switchless 1081 motor 3450 RPM
3.sta-rite posiflow II PTM135 Filter
4. Anthony Pool Heater - in: 210k BTU, out: 160k BTU, model 210B - Pool Chlor 449-2266
5. Aquabot Breeze 4WD pool cleaner
Pool Location: Hayward, CA 94545.
Pool rectangle 30’x11’ + triangle 7.5’ sides = 330sqt + 24sqt = 334 sqt of surface area
Patio Top = 9’x19’ = 171 sqt of area - flat top
Patio Area/Pool Area = 0.5
White Room = 18’ x 15’ = 270 sqt Roof-top Area
Patio Top + White Room Top = 171 + 270 = 441 sqt
11’ width x 30’ length x 3’ shallow depth x 8.5’ deep end = 14,718 gal = 1,967.5 cubic ft ~ 15k Gal
[attachment=0:2cl1y8jr]pool and patio for solar2.jpg[/attachment:2cl1y8jr]
so here are my questions - I will consider everything but on a budget (<1k if possible, 1.5k max), so cheaper is definitely better. goal is to get the water above 80 degree perhaps from April/May to Sept.
1. My wife doesn't like to see an ugly cover, but if necessary, with my pool shape, what solar cover (with reels) would you recommend?
2. how many sq ft of panels do i need? what panel sizes will fit well, and which direction? I'd like to use the patio top first and if not enough room, use part of the white flat top. or would the old wood shake roof work better?
3. my main pump might be old - it says "aqua flo model 10", magnetek switchless motor 1HP 3450RPM. will it do or do i need a new variable speed pump?
4. how hard to build the panels on flat surface and the plumbing? I got 0 plumbing experience, not exactly a handy man, just an average home owner.
5. These panel kits got the highest rating on amazon, very attractive price-wise, some users raved about it. What do you think? How would i mount these on flat top?