New pool owner looking for advice

cfos

May 26, 2013
New home came with a pool. We've been using a pool company to help us get started although I'm looking to take care of it myself. A few weeks ago we had a start-up performed by the pool company and we were hoping to have a fellow pool owner show me the ropes, but that hasn't happened.

So, I'm trying my best -- please be patient. I've been reading (and re-reading) pool school and looking for all the info I can find.

I have an unground, rectangular pool. I believe it to be 17.6 feet wide and 40.5 feet long. I estimate an average of 5 feet of depth. Using pool calculator, I believe it to be about 26,700 gallons.

Don't hate me, but I put in 2 tri-clor tablets, on the advice of the pool store. That was 2 days ago, before I read pool school. Since the "opening" the pool has been covered. I tried measuring the chlorine, but my Taylor kit leads me to believe its low (water sample looked clear).

Using the pool calculator, it looks likei can raise my FC by 1.9 by adding 40 oz of 6% bleach. I guess I assumed I would be buying gallons of it. Granted, I likely will as I'm learning how quickly chlorine disappears, but I guess I was also surprised how quickly it went away being that the pool was covered and the pool temp was in the 60s (heater not on).

Anyway, I'm either going to buy bleach at target or get some higher concentrated bleach at the pool store. Do my calculations seem accurate? I gather if I buy a single large bottle of bleach it may last a few days to a week...? Could someone with a similar size pool give me an estimate of what they go through a month (6% bleach) - I fully understand that my pool will differ from yours, but an idea or range may helpme start to better plan/forecast.

Thanks!

So you found the Pool Calculator - that's good. Why do did you specify 1.9/40 oz? The average pool loses 2-4 ppm per day, as Isaac stated there are many variables and every pool is unique. There really isn't anyway to tell you what yours will be. You need one of the recommended kits, and you need to test daily for a few months till you "get to know" your pool. I would say once you confirm your FC is holding overnight, and you are in routine pool maintenance, you will likely go through AT LEAST 1 large jug a day. Look for 12.5% - not uncommon to find cheaper prices at some pool store chains, or garden centers that sell it in 5 gal carbouys.

Even though your pool was covered, it's not uncommon to have a high FC demand when a pool is newly opened. 2 things consume chlorine, sunlight and organics. You need to use an FASDPD test and determine if your FC is holding overnight.

I specified that amount as I wanted the add something measurable that I could see. I hadn't accounted for an amount the average pool will lose. Thank you for your reply frustratedpoolmom.

I appreciate your post Isaac-1, but I do lack experience and am looking for a place to start, and hoping that the experience of others will give me a point of reference on which I can build experience or at list a point of reference.

The best investment you can make to reduce your chemical costs is getting one of the recommend test kits you read about in Pool School. With the accurate results, you know the health of the pool and can add only what is required, thus learning your specific pools behaviour.

am looking for a place to start,
I hear you. The 2-4 ppm that FPM suggests is a pretty good average for an outdoor uncovered pool.
but I guess I was also surprised how quickly it went away being that the pool was covered and the pool temp was in the 60s (heater not on)
You may have had/still have some unseen organics in your pool. Organics and sunlight are the two consumers of chlorine.

Thanks; pool chlorine added. Will wait and measure FC and hopefully be closer to optimum. I will also check for other respective chemical levels. One (of 2) local pool stores sells the 12% for $7.99/gallon or 5 gallons for $40. Does this sound comparable to prices y'all pay?

cfos said:
Thanks; pool chlorine added. Will wait and measure FC and hopefully be closer to optimum. I will also check for other respective chemical levels. One (of 2) local pool stores sells the 12% for $7.99/gallon or 5 gallons for $40. Does this sound comparable to prices y'all pay?
Sounds awful. Shop around.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/bleach-prices-2013-t58266.html?hilit=bleach prices 2013

If you want to keep costs down, get your own test kit. Yes, it's a chunk of change up front, but it will be less than one trip to the pool store where you leave with a handtruck full of plastic pails.

As far as I can tell, it's in 1 gallon plastic jugs. Will have to ask if they fill jugs on next visit. Will also check local stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) for other options and concentrations. Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to have other options.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP

Walmart unscented bleach is 8.25% as well as Clorox Unscented...it's the same stuff and offers other options. FPM gets a great deal. 4 gals of 10% pool store shock (bleach) in NY will run you about $16-18...but nowhere near $8/gallon.

If you have not done so yet...take a read though pool school...link is in my sig,

Went to Home Depot over lunch and it looked like they had 1 gallon jugs of 8.25% for $4.99. Will continue to look, but most of the stores I see posted here and in the link provided above, aren't in the Salt Lake City area. Walmart, of course, is -- just haven't gotten a chance to check them out. Thanks again for the posts. Anyone in the SLC area have a less expensive source aside from Dolphin and Deep Blue (which seem to have most/all of the market)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.