Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Pool Owner

TF 100 is on the way, here are the numbers I have with the kit I currently have, home depot jammie...

FC 2.0
    PH 7.6
    TA 130

We bought a house with an approx 10 yr old 20x40 inground. This is my first pool, so this is a learn as you go type thing. Already have been to the pool store where I dropped about $100 in "chemicals" to get it opened. Had to shock and add "alkalinity plus". Has an inline chlorinator thats running now, but I am going to go BBB as soon as the test kit arrives. After the shock, pool store said the water is perfect with the sample I brought them. But we will see.
    Every toy or hobby I have, I have a forum to go with it so I look forward to being a member here. Thanks already, wish I found this forum sooner!
    30K gal vinyl ig, hayward model S244T sand filter, hayward 1 HP pump, hayward chlorine feeder, hayward gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Pool Owner

Welcome to tfp, flopalock

No more alkalinity plus, your TA is already higher than ideal for a bleach chlorinated pool. Not a problem, it will come down on it's own eventually.

How does your water look?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Water is crystal clear, which is suprising given I pulled a garbage can full of leaves out of it after I took the cover off. It was a mess to say the least.

30K gal vinyl ig, hayward model S244T sand filter, hayward 1 HP pump, hayward chlorine feeder, hayward gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have a measurement for cya?

If you do and since your water is clear, then I would dose to the normal chlorine level for that cya level (see the poolcalculator.com recommended levels section) until your kit comes. Once the kit comes, run a full set of tests and post them.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome

What he said^
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome, looking forward to your TF-100 test results
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

The kit i have has an acid demand test that tells me to add 3 pints of muriatic acid, from what i can tell. Its minimal accordind to the chart in the kit, so i think i might wait til i can test with the 100.

8. Back To Top    #8

If your ph is still 7.6, then it is unlikely that you need acid at this point.

9. Back To Top    #9

OK 100 in the mail after work and here is what I have:
    CL 1.0
    PH 7.5
    FC 2.0
    CC 0.5
    TA 140
    CH 170
    CYA 50

I thought the CYA would've been a little higher given the auto chlorinator, but who knows what they were using. The CH has me annoyed since the guy at the pool store had me dump a bucket of something in the pool because the water was too hard. Now lemme go play with the pool calculator.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by flopalock
    OK 100 in the mail after work and here is what I have:
    CL 1.0
    PH 7.5
    FC 2.0
    CC 0.5
    TA 140
    CH 170
    CYA 50

I thought the CYA would've been a little higher given the auto chlorinator, but who knows what they were using. The CH has me annoyed since the guy at the pool store had me dump a bucket of something in the pool because the water was too hard. Now lemme go play with the pool calculator.
    Is the water clear? If so, just jack the FC up to about 6 and go swimming.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Crystal, probably given im running the filter 16 hrs a day. Im playing with cutting back on that though. Check my avatar...heheh

12. Back To Top    #12

Yep, other than FC, your numbers look good...lucky you on the cya level

The CH has me annoyed since the guy at the pool store had me dump a bucket of something in the pool because the water was too hard.
    Now you have the knowledge which gives you the power...so never let them do that to you again

13. Back To Top    #13

So after jack up the fc to 6, how long do i wait to test again to see where its at?

14. Back To Top    #14

So after jack up the fc to 6, how long do i wait to test again to see where its at?
    Same bat time, same bat channel tomorrow. (I hope you're old enough to get that)

If it ends up below 4, target 7 tomorrow. You'll learn your pool's appetite quick enough.