Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buttress leaning in while filling

1. Back To Top    #1

Buttress leaning in while filling

I have just finished installing my 15' x 30' oval pool. While filling I noticed one of my buttresses is leaning in (toward pool) 1 1/2 inches. I have about 6 inches of water in the pool. The wall is dented in slightly close to this area. Will this correct itself when it fills up and pushes buttress back? Thanks.
    15x30 above ground pool
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter with 1.5 hp pump
    Central Kentucky

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buttress leaning in while filling

Welcome to tfp, Redbridge89

Is the buttress outrigger off the ground?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. It was off the ground so I added wa little weight to hold it down. The buttress is still leaning. I believe the channel has settled from weight of water on tje pressure plate. When I was digging in this area there was a large rock I removed. I must not have done a good job filling this area in. Is this a problem that I need to fix?
    15x30 above ground pool
    Central Kentucky

4. Back To Top    #4

If it just settled under the pressure plate, you may be okay. If it settled under the post and/or outrigger, then you may have a problem. How is the height of the post verses the one next to it? You may have to put a long board on the the two posts surrounding the problem one to judge it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

The post in question is 1/2 inch lower than the rest of the post on this side. It appears the settling is at the pressure plate. Do you think it would be safe filling up and keeping an eye on it? There is only a foot of water in the pool I could drain and re-level. Thanks for your help.
    15x30 above ground pool
    Central Kentucky

6. Back To Top    #6

Without seeing it (or seeing pictures) it is hard for me to say. It seems like at 1/2" you may be okay, but if the post keeps settling, then there will likely be problems.

7. Back To Top    #7

sounds like you might be ok, as suggested definitely keep an eye on it.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for your help. I ended up taking water out and putting a concrete block under the front of the buttress. I hope it doesn't settle again. Thanks again.
    15x30 above ground pool
    Central Kentucky