Can't raise FC

May 27, 2013
Water is blue/ green after shocking, it was black. I've been adding three gallons of bleach every night for last 7 days. Have chunks of green algae floating in it, they are starting to turn grey/white around edges. From what I've read in pool school I think I'm on right track just wanted any advice I can get. Test results have been about the same for a week except CC that has went from .4 to 1.4. Using Taylor K-2006.

33ftx54" AGP
Vinyl liner
TA 110
PH 7.4
FC .8
CC 1.4
CYA 45

Welcome to TFP.

The first thing to do is go from adding chlorine every night to adding it as often as you can. That will speed up the process a lot. Also be sure to add enough to get the FC to shock level for a CYA of 45 each time.

The sunlight is going to compete for that chlorine too. So, as stated above 2x, hit it hard during the day light hours. :goodjob:

spoon359 said:
Ok. Pool calculator says I need to add 7 gallons of bleach to reach shock level of FC. Should it be added all at once or spaced out over a few hours?
All at once.

You'll be rechecking and adding more in a few hours.

[center:alojxrbo]
file.php
[/center:alojxrbo]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
spoon359 said:
Ok. Pool calculator says I need to add 7 gallons of bleach to reach shock level of FC. Should it be added all at once or spaced out over a few hours?
All at once.

You'll be rechecking and adding more in a few hours.

Actually, with the numbers you've reported (OP) I'd check it every hour or two & add enough chlorine to maintain your FC to shock level. At first, it will be consumed quickly & as you go on it will take longer & longer to consume the same amount of chlorine.

For instance, you may have to add another gallon after two hours. Then another gallon two hours later. Then half a gallon two hours later, then half a gallon two hours later. Eventually a gallon would keep you at shock level for the whole day.

The test though, is how much chlorine you use at night. Once you wake up with the same FC level as you had when you went to bed, you can allow your FC level to drift down towards normal maintenance level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.