Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't raise FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't raise FC

Water is blue/ green after shocking, it was black. I've been adding three gallons of bleach every night for last 7 days. Have chunks of green algae floating in it, they are starting to turn grey/white around edges. From what I've read in pool school I think I'm on right track just wanted any advice I can get. Test results have been about the same for a week except CC that has went from .4 to 1.4. Using Taylor K-2006.

33ftx54" AGP
    Vinyl liner
    TA 110
    PH 7.4
    FC .8
    CC 1.4
    CYA 45

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't raise FC

Welcome to TFP.

The first thing to do is go from adding chlorine every night to adding it as often as you can. That will speed up the process a lot. Also be sure to add enough to get the FC to shock level for a CYA of 45 each time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree, hit it hard, testing and adding hourly if possible. Only adding once a night wont get you very far...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

The sunlight is going to compete for that chlorine too. So, as stated above 2x, hit it hard during the day light hours.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks I'll do that. Knew sunlight used it up faster so I was only doing at night. Will start doing day and night.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you have "chunks" of organic matter in your pool, you should remove them with a leaf net...pronto.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok I have been removing with net, but of course everyday there's a new batch.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Then you are not killing it and need to maintain more chlorine. One of the essentials of getting your pool clean is removing all solids.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok. Pool calculator says I need to add 7 gallons of bleach to reach shock level of FC. Should it be added all at once or spaced out over a few hours?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by spoon359
    Ok. Pool calculator says I need to add 7 gallons of bleach to reach shock level of FC. Should it be added all at once or spaced out over a few hours?
    All at once.

You'll be rechecking and adding more in a few hours.

[center:alojxrbo][/center:alojxrbo]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon359
    All at once.

You'll be rechecking and adding more in a few hours.
    Actually, with the numbers you've reported (OP) I'd check it every hour or two & add enough chlorine to maintain your FC to shock level. At first, it will be consumed quickly & as you go on it will take longer & longer to consume the same amount of chlorine.

For instance, you may have to add another gallon after two hours. Then another gallon two hours later. Then half a gallon two hours later, then half a gallon two hours later. Eventually a gallon would keep you at shock level for the whole day.

The test though, is how much chlorine you use at night. Once you wake up with the same FC level as you had when you went to bed, you can allow your FC level to drift down towards normal maintenance level.
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)