Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Run pump 24/7 Y/N

1. Back To Top    #1

Run pump 24/7 Y/N

Is it necessary to run the filter ALL the time?

Or, would it be ok to say, only run it at night?
    I'm thinking that would save on the electric bill and be quieter while sitting by the pool?

Thanks for any help

PS: Love this site!

2. Back To Top    #2
    The amount of time you need to run the pump varies for each pool. It depends on the relative size of the pump and the pool. However the ideal run time is almost never as long as 24 hours a day, except for a few cases where you have a variable speed pump running at a very low speed.

12 hours a day is a good starting place. Run that way for a week and then see if the water still looks as good as you are used to running 24/7. If it still looks great, try a shorter run time. If it doesn't look quite right, try a longer run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

rrakestraw,

Some TFP members run their pumps 24 hours per day, but I would say that most do not. Many TFP members seem to run their pumps for 8-10 hours per day in the summer and maybe only 2-6 hours per day in the winter. I personally have been running my pump for about 2.5 hours per day with no problem.

Many pool owners "inherited" the idea of running their pumps 24 hours per day from their pool builder. This advice, however, doesn't cost the pool builder a cent (unlike the pool owner).

What I would suggest is cutting your runtime back to 12 hours per day. Then observe your pool water for the next week. If you don't observe any decrease in water quality, then the 12 hours per day will work for you. Similarly, you can try cutting back from 12 hours per day in 1 or 2 hour increments, waiting a week to see if there is any change in water quality.

If you see a theme here, it is because there is. The theme is observe your pool water and let those observations guide your actions. If you have any questions or problems, we'll be here.

Please post the particulars of your pool size and pool equipment in your signature. This information will let us help you more efficiently. Here are some guidelines on what kind of information we are looking for in your signature. http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=3662

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

4. Back To Top    #4
    I used to run my 2-speed for 12 hours on LO but have found that I can cut that back to 6 hours at night when the rates are lower plus a couple hours during the day after we're done swimming. I run it on HI when vacuuming once or twice a week. This works well for our size pool and our usage.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm with Anna, but we run ours a little more...28k gallon pool

low 10 hours a day 4 hours on high, energy savings so far have been about $100 a month but now we have to start running the AC inside

Any chance we could do a "Pump Run Time" sticky?
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

6. Back To Top    #6

I run mine on Low speed of a two speed pump for 10 hours a day right now and my water is clear as can be. I run mine in the daytime hours just because thats when I want it to be on, but I would imagine that the electric costs would be a little cheaper running it at night instead. I can't imagine anybody needing to run one 24/7, and if they did, they REALLY need to look into changing some things out.
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

24hrs continuous running is really only needed if you're shocking the pool fighting a serious algae bloom.

I've been just fine running the pump at 6-8hrs per day over the summer.
    22,000 gal in-ground, 3-8ft
    Cartridge filter
    Pebble Tec resurfaced
    Polaris 360

8. Back To Top    #8

Last year we ran it 24/7 we have an Intex the pumps are not the greatest plus I had atleast 5 kids in the pool all day.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

rrakestraw,

Welcome to the forum. All these answers above are really good and they point out how important it is that you judge your individual pool. Titanium's suggestion to start out at 12 hours and adjust up or down is excellent.

As you can see, others have different equipment and different swimming loads and they have learned to run according to what fits their situation.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10
    I am still undecided.. but am leaning toward 10 hours a day.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

11. Back To Top    #11

10 hours a day is a good starting point for this time of year. Do that and take the advice others gave you on here with the water clarity.
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

I run my filter only at night, I turn it on when I add Liq. Chlor. to bring it up to maintance levels. When I shock I run it 24/7 until it goes back down to maintance levels. If I am working on a problem I will run it 24/7 until the problem clears up.
    AGP, 21'x41'x52", Vinyl liner, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks!

Thanks soo much for the help!!! I had no idea.
    I will get that pool info for my signature asap.

Thanks again

14. Back To Top    #14
    In the heat of summer I run mine 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the late afternoon/evening. I also add my chemicals (bleach, acid, etc) after the sun is off the pool when the pump is running.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

15. Back To Top    #15
    We run our pump 24/7 on low; always have; on high for vacuming...with our center drain I only have to do that once or twice a season. Probably overkill, I know...and I may get around to purchasing a timer one of these days....

I only notice an increase of $15 a month to run the pump.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

16. Back To Top    #16

When I first found this forum and ask the same question (twice), but nobody can give me a clear answer. Now that I found me ideal running time with all the information I found on this site, I'll give some back on my findings.

Basically, the common run time would be two turn over of your water per day during summer (opened season) and one turnover during winter (closed season). Some went below one turnover per day if the conditions are all very favorable such as minimal dirt getting in, low bather load, less direct strong sunlight, good hydraulic design (promote even circulation) and most importantly, good balanced chemistry. I run mine at 2 1/2 hours per day the last 3 months without a problem.
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.

17. Back To Top    #17
    A turnover is when the pump has pumped the same amount of water as the size of the pool.

Typically a residential pool is designed to be able to have between two and three turnovers per day with the pump running the full 24 hours. A good pump run time often comes out to be about one turnover per day in mid-summer, so 8 to 12 hours. However, many pools are over built. It is quite common for the pump to be too large and so get a turnover in less than 8 hours.

The problem with all of this is that it is rather difficult to figure out your flow rate if you don't have a flow meter. And it isn't really one turnover a day that is the goal. The real goal is to have the water be clear and sparkling and it is easier to judge that by eye then it is to figure out how long a turnover takes for your pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School