Pentair WFE-24 No Pressure

Jul 3, 2012
Dallas, TX
Last week, my pool pump, which is a Pentair WFE-24, lost pressure from one day to the next. Usually, my DE filter reads about 12 PSI and there is sufficient flow to keep the water moving and operate the pool vacuum. But upon start-up the next day, the pressure was close to 0. The water still moved, the pump primed and the basket filled, but it wasn't sufficient pressure to circulate the pool current and definitely not enough to move the vacuum. For what it's worth, I noticed that the noise the pump makes is also different. Hard to describe how, but different pitch.

This pump is only a little more than a year old. Any suggestions?

I suppose a clog is possible since a lot of things have been falling into the pool from "spring" blooms on the overhanging trees. But how would this debris reach the impeller with the basket in place?

Assuming it is a clog, is this something I can fix myself? Or would doing so void a warranty?

Thanks.

Turn the pump off, remove the pump strainer basket lid and stick your hand in the hole closest to the rear of the pump....the impeller is in there. Remove any debris you might discover.

You'd be surprised what gets past the basket. Pine needles are the biggest culprit but lots of things have gotten by them.

As Dave said, reach in the front of the pump and see what you can find. If you find stuff and can get it out then do so. If you can't get it out you can try running water backward from the discharge of the pump to the suction of the pump and see if it'll flush out. If it won't you can take the wet end off the pump (or the pump off the wet end) and the impeller will be in the open. It won't void the warranty to do that.

Thank you. Apparently, a clog was the problem. I couldn't quite get my hand in there (and am always nervous doing so, even with the power completely off), so I used a coat hangers to pull debris loose. Seems to be back to its old self. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.