Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair WFE-24 No Pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair WFE-24 No Pressure

Last week, my pool pump, which is a Pentair WFE-24, lost pressure from one day to the next. Usually, my DE filter reads about 12 PSI and there is sufficient flow to keep the water moving and operate the pool vacuum. But upon start-up the next day, the pressure was close to 0. The water still moved, the pump primed and the basket filled, but it wasn't sufficient pressure to circulate the pool current and definitely not enough to move the vacuum. For what it's worth, I noticed that the noise the pump makes is also different. Hard to describe how, but different pitch.

This pump is only a little more than a year old. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair WFE-24 No Pressure

It's possibly a clog in the impeller.
    Is there any air bubbles in the basket?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, there is an air bubble that hovers at the top of the basket. But it was there (maybe not quite as big) even when the pump was working properly.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's common for there to be an air bubble in the very top of the lid, and "hovering" is an excellent way to describe it. If that's all that's in there, I'm back to a clog in the impeller.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I suppose a clog is possible since a lot of things have been falling into the pool from "spring" blooms on the overhanging trees. But how would this debris reach the impeller with the basket in place?

Assuming it is a clog, is this something I can fix myself? Or would doing so void a warranty?

Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Turn the pump off, remove the pump strainer basket lid and stick your hand in the hole closest to the rear of the pump....the impeller is in there. Remove any debris you might discover.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

You'd be surprised what gets past the basket. Pine needles are the biggest culprit but lots of things have gotten by them.

As Dave said, reach in the front of the pump and see what you can find. If you find stuff and can get it out then do so. If you can't get it out you can try running water backward from the discharge of the pump to the suction of the pump and see if it'll flush out. If it won't you can take the wet end off the pump (or the pump off the wet end) and the impeller will be in the open. It won't void the warranty to do that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you. Apparently, a clog was the problem. I couldn't quite get my hand in there (and am always nervous doing so, even with the power completely off), so I used a coat hangers to pull debris loose. Seems to be back to its old self. Thanks again.

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad it was an easy fix.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator