New and having an algae problem

May 27, 2013
This is our second year having an above ground pool. We just have one of the 18 ft intex pools. Our pump quit working a couple of weeks short of the cold weather last year. We just purchase the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Pump with 1/4 hp motor. We didn't properly close the pool with the winter chemicals or the pool cover. So you can imagine how nasty it is/was. We poured a bottle of algaecide in and let it filter for a while and then added some shock to let circulate and filter through the night. I got up around 6:30 to a clearer green pool and added more shock. I swept it the next day and added another bottle of algaecide and it's now a clear greenish color but is foggy. However, it still has green algae at the bottom when you sweep it. The vacuum they gave us with the pool is a joke. So we borrowed my Aunts that she used for her pool before buying her robotic vacuum. It wound up breaking on us because its older. I'm at a loss for what I should do next. I'm looking into buying a new vacuum that will work good with our pool so I can get the remaining algae out. My question is what steps should I take next to kill the algae at the bottom and get the water clear? My babies are ready to jump in! I attached a picture of the water. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 104
The first thing you should do is order a good test kit and then you should read "how to defeat algae" in Pool School.

Algaecide is not the bestr thing to use in getting rid of algae. You should be using bleach.

Which model pump/filter do you have?

The key to defeating algae economically and without doing damage to your vinyl liner is knowledge and the correct use of chlorine, part of this knowledge means having a good test kit so you can track what is going on in real time, and dose as needed. Another part is understanding what your pool needs, this can be achieved by getting one of the suggested drop based test kits (see my signature for the link for the one I use) and by reading over the pool school link in the upper right paying particular attention to the section and links on defeating algae.

Ike

Algaecides have copper and can stain your pool liner and turn blonde hair green if used in excess. What you need to do is shock the pool. As mentioned above, it is very important to have a good test kit (TF-100) and to read Pool School.

It's an Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Model # SF10110.

It is a little unlevel. But we had already ordered in two separate loads of sand to level it out and weren't ordering more since we're in the process of looking for/purchasing
another house.

I would brush the bottom to make sure all the algae is getting touched by shock levels of free chlorine. Once it settles down, you can vac to waste. If your filter doesn't have a "waste" setting, post back - I can tell you how to vac to waste bypassing the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Link is in my sig. Really easy to use, enter your gallons, your test results in the "now" and your CYA level determines how high to shock. Enter that FC amount in the "target" column and it tells you how much bleach to add. Make sure you specify the % strength of bleach you are using and the size of the jug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.