Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened the pool today and found a leak in the heater

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Opened the pool today and found a leak in the heater

Pulled the cover today...hooked up the pump, etc...Saw water leaking out of the bottom of the heater. Now What!? pulled the cover, and saw water streaming out to one of the elbows on the heat exchanger. Pulled it out and saw this...

Took longer to get the tools out that it did to fix it...

Put it all back together and it is working fine now. Seems like I have to fix something every year.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened the pool today and found a leak in the heater

Nice job
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

great job...on my H250 hayward, the two return pipes in th eheat exchanger were rotted away when I started my pool this year...a three year old heater too!!!! i brought it to my local plumber and he told me the tubing was odd sized almost like a/c refrig tubing...he was afraid to try and fix it.....a new exchanger was 700 bucks so i tried my local hardware store...after 20 dollars of frozen/ cracked pipe over size tubing, a couple of copper couplers, some solder, some liquid solder in a bottle (epoxy) and a tubing cutter and I was back in business......i drove the oversize pipe into the good part of the rotted pipe and let the liquid solder dry then i split the couplers so they fit over the bigger tubing and soldered that and the split i put into it....i then took some black hi temp silicone sealer and put some over the rubber o-ring that the pipes slipped into....crossed my fingers and fired it up...knock on wood no leaks 10 days later.....now I am working with hayward on a new exchanger because even though it was 2 years past warranty they would "as a courtesy" replace the exchange if i had an authorized hayward dealer install it for me.....really???? i just took it out, diagnosed it,repaired it and reinstalled it and you need someone else to install it for a charge...oh well, stgay tuned for this

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

great job...on my H250 hayward, the two return pipes in th eheat exchanger were rotted away when I started my pool this year...a three year old heater too
    What was your pH during this time period?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

well being the pool was closed all winter, I would say it would be hard to tell but the heater was drained and antifreeze installed......i personally think there is an issue with the hayward heaters because the only tubes that were compromised were the outlet side of ther heater,,,the cold side was perfectly fine....i have a check valve in the auto chlorinator so that isnt a problem....the ph in my pool is in the 7.2 to 7.6 range when i use it and right before i closed it

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    great job...on my H250 hayward, the two return pipes in th eheat exchanger were rotted away when I started my pool this year...a three year old heater too
    I would like to know details as well. I just got a Hayward heater.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Vette
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I would like to know details as well. I just got a Hayward heater.
    I am really starting to believe this is a Hayward defect. I think they realize no one records their water tests and conveniently use this fact to excuse their HE that fail prematurely. My heater failed after three years. We replaced it with the identical one last summer. It has 3 months use on it. I have recorded every water test since the new one and it is leaking.
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.