Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

There has been some confusion about skimmer socks. So I took a few pictures to clarify things for the beginners. This is a queen-sized knee-high nylon purchased at Walgreens. I prefer white, but sometimes you have to make do with what's in stock.

[center:1eidpzog]What it looks like out of the skimmer.[attachment=2:1eidpzog]skimmer1.jpg[/attachment:1eidpzog]
    Side view. Note the clump of debris in the toe.
    [attachment=1:1eidpzog]skimmer2.jpg[/attachment:1eidpzog]
    Cleaning the nylon over the composter.
    [attachment=0:1eidpzog]skimmer3.jpg[/attachment:1eidpzog][/center:1eidpzog]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

Nice pics, Richard.

I have had great luck with skimmer socks and use them during the tree-budding season here.

For anyone new to using skimmer socks, one thing you want to avoid is placing them in your skimmer and then turning the pump on for several hours or so without checking on them. You will need to clean these socks frequently, especially during the pollen high season. By frequently, I mean after running the pump for as little as two hours if you have a high infestation of small pollen debris. The socks will catch the debris as they are designed to do. But if it gets too caked up, it will starve your pump of water. Best way to mitigate this is to get several pair of skimmer socks and rotate out the dirty ones with clean ones. Then immediately clean out the dirty ones so they will be ready for another round of duty.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

You might add a Photo 4 to show swishing that skimmer basket, while upside down as in Photo 3, in a bucket of water to clean the sock. It will get pretty clean.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

My 2 cents. I tried these from Lowes, but decided they trap too much and are too restrictive (skimmer sucked about half as much).

So I tried these, and they work great. I'm sure panty hose are also great. I also use the material in the 5 gallon version as a leaf net replacement. Gets most of the smaller floating stuff... and cheaper than buying a new fine mesh net.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Are these the same kind of socks I need to use to add stabilizer? For some reason I had a gym sock in my head...
    15K gal, 16'x32' oval, AG vinyl, 1.5 HP Splapool pump, Astralpool 120sqft cartridge filter, Hayward AquaTrol Digital SWG with Turbocell t-cell-5, Pool installed 6/1/2013, Wanda the Whale cleaning robot
    I like the TF-100 test kit | Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by einhard
    Are these the same kind of socks I need to use to add stabilizer? For some reason I had a gym sock in my head...
    Either will work. The nylons may be slightly more porous.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!