Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter cover hooks stuck

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter cover hooks stuck

Ling story short, we bought a house where the pool hadn't been opened in 2 years. Everything is relatively going well except a good portion of the winter cover hooks appear to be stuck, and I can't turn them back down. It looks to be a 1/4" hex wrench.

Does anybody have a solution that has worked for them?

18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Winter cover hooks stuck

Try spraying them off with a hose, then some kind of lubricant.
    Then, try to back them out first.
    A hammer drill can be useful too.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Winter cover hooks stuck

yes...i had a similar experience with one of my anchors.....this is how i did it....i got a real 1/4" allen socket and a breaker bar or long extension...i took some penetrant and spraye dit up and let it set...maybe overnight for you since they are 2 years is usually brass so they dont rust, they just get **** in them and lock the socket back and forth......tighten loosen tighten ...spray and keep working may take about 20-30 back and forths to get it to really want to try and remove the screw before you run it down in so you can clean out the **** and also put some antiseize on it or at least spray lubricant.......once you get it out......ghet your cordless drill or driver thast can accept a 3/8 socket adapter and run the screw up and down many times....and when you finally run it in all the way, dont crank it pool has 28 anchors but luckily only 2 froze up...I am a mechanic so i had all the "good" tools to work it out and put it back together....good luck but you cab do it