Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellow "sand" on walls of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Western KY

Yellow "sand" on walls of pool

I'm opening the pool and have gotten all the gunk out of the bottom. I have a yellow grit on all the walls of my pool. I have tried to scrub this stuff off but I think it's on there with super glue! Any ideas? I can add pictures if I need to.
    25,000 gal; above ground
    sand filter
    Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5HP, 34GPM
    June 2009

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Yellow "sand" on walls of pool

Gritty tends to point to calcium scale. It can very easily get algae or iron embedded in it as it forms.

Pictures will help a lot. So will test results.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

Re: Yellow "sand" on walls of pool

Lee J

Welcome to TFP

Pics would certainly help. Here are a couple of suggestions:
    • 1. If you have a trichlor tab, rub that on part of the stain. If it fades, then it is organic in nature (in your case, it could be mustard algae based on your description).
      2. If you have a Vitamin C tablet, rub that on part of the stain. If it fades, then it is a metal stain. If the Vitamin C is in an enclosed capsule, you would need to break the capsule open so that the actual Vitamin C gets in contact with the stain. A tablet form of Vitamin C is best to use.

Either type of stain can also be embedded in calcium scale as Richard320 has pointed out.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.