What to do first or do it all!

Blessedwithfivekids

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
Northern Connecticut
Hi Friends,
I'm kinda new to this and so far things have been good. Today after days of cold weather and inches of rain my pool is dirty and a a little cloudy.

Here are my numbers
FC. .5
CC. O
TA. 70
CYA. 0
Salt. 3400
PH. 7.2

My husband already threw in a gallon of 12 per cent bleach
I put in a sock again for CYA

Can I put in baking soda and borax too?

Thanks

Sandy

I wouldn't do either -just yet. Looks like your PH is happy at your current level of TA. Borates are an option. Just keep your FC level in proportion to your CYA level. Get your CYA level up to what is recommended in pool school for I "assume" your SWG? If you have one, please add it to your profile and any other pool equipment info you may have left out.

Blessedwithfivekids said:
I put in a sock again for CYA
Do you know when and how much CYA was added? I would recommend a starting level of around 30 ppm and see how the FC consumption goes for a while. You can always add more CYA, if needed. BTW, where is the location of the nearest major city to you? If you are in AZ or FL and your pool is in full sun much of the day, you might shoot for a higher initial CYA of around 50 ppm.

I would give the pool an initial FC dose of ~ 4-5 ppm. Once we know your adjusted CYA, we can go from there.

Ok
Thanks all
When should I test for chlorine again? I vacuumed the pool and turned the fountains on to mix everything. The kids ant to swim but I want to make sure the chlorine is safe. I would like a CYA of 40 ish but all last year and so far this year I have had zero. Between last yer and this yer I have added 10 lbs of CYA crystals via sock. I just put the sock in again.
I live in Connecticut and we haven't seen the sun in days! Today is going to be partly cloudy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.