Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do first or do it all!

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do first or do it all!

Hi Friends,
    I'm kinda new to this and so far things have been good. Today after days of cold weather and inches of rain my pool is dirty and a a little cloudy.

Here are my numbers
    FC. .5
    CC. O
    TA. 70
    CYA. 0
    Salt. 3400
    PH. 7.2

My husband already threw in a gallon of 12 per cent bleach
    I put in a sock again for CYA

Can I put in baking soda and borax too?

Thanks

Sandy
    24,000 20x42 double roman end in ground pool being built. Start date june13, 2012.
    Finished July 4th, 2012, sports pool, vinyl,SWG, DE filter, fountains. Heat pump,
    First Pool Ever!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do first or do it all!

I wouldn't do either -just yet. Looks like your PH is happy at your current level of TA. Borates are an option. Just keep your FC level in proportion to your CYA level. Get your CYA level up to what is recommended in pool school for I "assume" your SWG? If you have one, please add it to your profile and any other pool equipment info you may have left out.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

What CYA level are you shooting for? Just curious.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

pH and TA are acceptable. Deal with them later.

Get that FC up to the level it should be assuming the CYA is 100% dissolved.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwithfivekids
    I put in a sock again for CYA
    Do you know when and how much CYA was added? I would recommend a starting level of around 30 ppm and see how the FC consumption goes for a while. You can always add more CYA, if needed. BTW, where is the location of the nearest major city to you? If you are in AZ or FL and your pool is in full sun much of the day, you might shoot for a higher initial CYA of around 50 ppm.

I would give the pool an initial FC dose of ~ 4-5 ppm. Once we know your adjusted CYA, we can go from there.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok
    Thanks all
    When should I test for chlorine again? I vacuumed the pool and turned the fountains on to mix everything. The kids ant to swim but I want to make sure the chlorine is safe. I would like a CYA of 40 ish but all last year and so far this year I have had zero. Between last yer and this yer I have added 10 lbs of CYA crystals via sock. I just put the sock in again.
    I live in Connecticut and we haven't seen the sun in days! Today is going to be partly cloudy.
    24,000 20x42 double roman end in ground pool being built. Start date june13, 2012.
    Finished July 4th, 2012, sports pool, vinyl,SWG, DE filter, fountains. Heat pump,
    First Pool Ever!